Air pollution and Covid-19 pandemic have no combined negative effects
The Hanoitimes - Air pollution and Covid epidemic -19 are two separate issues with completely different causes and impacts.
Even though happening at the same time, there is unlikely a combination of effects of air pollution and the Covid-19 pandemic on people's health, Kinh Te & Do Thi quoted Vice Chairman of the Vietnam Association for Nature and Environment Protection Pham Ngoc Dang as saying.
| Illustrative photo. Photo: Reuters|
Dang said that air pollution and the Covid-19 epidemic are two separate issues with completely different causes and impacts.
People would be infected with the virus and get sick, no matter how the air quality is. Conversely, air pollution is not conducive to virus infection.
"Looking from a positive angle, air pollution discourages people from going out, which is appropriate to avoid coronavirus propagation,” Dang said.
In particular, about 1.4 million people aged 60 and older live in Hanoi who are advised against outdoor activities, especially on the days of polluted air.
Earlier, Chairman of the municipal People's Committee Nguyen Duc Chung said at a meeting on March 18 that people should regularly have body temperature checked and stop going to office if they show signs of illness. People should work online if possible and avoid going out or public gatherings till the end of March.
The Hanoi mayor also called on people to stay calm and follow the measures that the Ministry of Health has instructed. The local government is proactively and well controlling people entering the city from abroad and cases of Covid-19 cross-infection.
- A look at nearly complete modern ring road in Hanoi
- Hanoi mayor suspended from duties for involving in criminal cases
- Over 80% enterprises in Hanoi register for e-invoicing
- Hanoi to provide electric tourist car services at 8 locations
- Hanoi to quarantine nearly 1,000 people evacuated from Danang
- Health ministry checks two high-risk hospitals in Hanoi
- Hanoi to complete Covid-19 test for 75,000 returnees from Danang by August 20
- Hanoi rushes to test all returnees from Danang soon
- Hanoi mayor requests 'absolute safety' for national high school exams amid Covid-19 outbreak
- Hanoi among leading localities having users of contact tracing app Bluezone
A look at nearly complete modern ring road in Hanoi
Vietnamese consumers prefer using cashless payments
Vietnam infrastructure market among most diverse competitive landscapes in SE Asia
Vietnam’s unprecedented 2020 national high school exam
Vietnam stock market needs upgrading to emerging status soon: PM
ASEAN Summit in Hanoi expected to boost intra-regional economic links
Hanoi works closely with ADB to ensure progress of urban infrastructure projects
Vietnam Airlines retakes Jetstar Pacific from Qantas
Hanoi strives to ensure safe and stable investment environment for investors