Air pollution and Covid-19 pandemic have no combined negative effects
The Hanoitimes - Air pollution and Covid epidemic -19 are two separate issues with completely different causes and impacts.
Even though happening at the same time, there is unlikely a combination of effects of air pollution and the Covid-19 pandemic on people's health, Kinh Te & Do Thi quoted Vice Chairman of the Vietnam Association for Nature and Environment Protection Pham Ngoc Dang as saying.
| Illustrative photo. Photo: Reuters|
Dang said that air pollution and the Covid-19 epidemic are two separate issues with completely different causes and impacts.
People would be infected with the virus and get sick, no matter how the air quality is. Conversely, air pollution is not conducive to virus infection.
"Looking from a positive angle, air pollution discourages people from going out, which is appropriate to avoid coronavirus propagation,” Dang said.
In particular, about 1.4 million people aged 60 and older live in Hanoi who are advised against outdoor activities, especially on the days of polluted air.
Earlier, Chairman of the municipal People's Committee Nguyen Duc Chung said at a meeting on March 18 that people should regularly have body temperature checked and stop going to office if they show signs of illness. People should work online if possible and avoid going out or public gatherings till the end of March.
The Hanoi mayor also called on people to stay calm and follow the measures that the Ministry of Health has instructed. The local government is proactively and well controlling people entering the city from abroad and cases of Covid-19 cross-infection.
- Logistics firms in Hanoi only meet 25% of demand: City Party chief
- Innovation festival raises endogenous resources to promote Hanoi’s development
- Hanoi seeks government guidance in public procurement
- Hanoi strictly handles illegal entries to prevent coronavirus intrusion
- 62% of agricultural cooperatives in Hanoi operate efficiently
- Hanoi strengthens law compliance to improve business environment: Mayor
- Hanoi focuses on infrastructure development to reduce traffic congestion
- Hanoi pushes for disbursement of public funds
- Vietnam Local Specialties Fair 2020 to help local firms embark on e-commerce
- Hanoi seeks comment on best zero-milestone maker designs
Logistics firms in Hanoi only meet 25% of demand: City Party chief
Hoan Kiem lake, fantastic place in the heart of Hanoi
European businesses see Q4 investment more promising in Vietnam
How Vietnam weathers global health crisis and rises?
Hanoi completes traffic infrastructure to develop satellite urban areas: Official
Close-up of first train of Hanoi’s second metro line put on rails
Apple partner Pegatron mulls US$1-billion investment in hi-tech projects in Vietnam
Hanoi’s weekend pedestrian streets allowed to reopen from September 18
European investors propose US$1 billion logistics project in Vietnam