ASEAN, Russia move towards comprehensive Plan of Action
Russia has been a full dialogue partner of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) since 1996.
Representatives of ASEAN member states and Russia have discussed measures to reach the finalization of the ASEAN-Russia Comprehensive Plan of Action for 2021-2025.
|Representatives of ASEAN member states and Russia at the meeting. Photo: Baoquocte|
Both sides underscored the necessity to accelerate the action plan at the 19th meeting of the ASEAN-Russia Joint Cooperation Committee (ARJCC) held virtually on March 30.
Ambassador Nguyen Hai Bang, head of Vietnam’s Permanent Mission to ASEAN, attended the event.
They said the action plan creates an important basis for the bilateral cooperation in the next five years, preparing for celebrating the 30th anniversary of the ASEAN-Russia relations and the 25th anniversary of dialogue relations between ASEAN and Russia (1996-2021).
They discussed ways to further strengthen cooperation in several areas of mutual interest, including; political and security; countering terrorism and transnational crime; economy; industry; science and technology; smart cities; disaster management; health; and people-to-people contacts.
The meeting also touched upon regional and international issues of mutual interest and concern, including regional security architecture. ASEAN appreciated Russia’s continued support for ASEAN centrality in ASEAN-led mechanisms.
Russia affirmed that ASEAN is one of its leading partners, vowing to support the bloc in building the community and strengthening the ASEAN Centrality, as well as enhancing the regional connectivity and narrowing the development gap.
Earlier this month, the both sides revealed the possibility of join naval exercise in the near future.
As of February 28, the ASEAN-Russia Dialogue Partnership Finance Fund (ARDPFF) has a total amount of US$8.14 million with an annual contribution of US$1.5 million from Russia.
- Danish Crown Prince's visit to Vietnam promotes green solutions
- Penny Wong arrives in Hanoi, affirming new Australian cabinet relations with Vietnam
- Vietnam, Hungary to sign new parliamentary cooperation agreement
- Vietnam entirely justified in exercising self-defense against Khmer Rouge: Carl Thayer
- Australia launches plastics innovation hub in Vietnam
- Vietnam, South Korea eye Comprehensive Strategic Partnership
- UNDP, Netherlands boost circular economy capacity building for Vietnam businesses
- 55th anniversary of Vietnam-Cambodia relations observed
- Vietnam’s 1st Goldman Prize awardee jailed for tax fraud
- South Korea’s biggest airline resumes direct air route to Danang
Vietnam to draft national action plan for circular economy adaptation
Hanoi welcomes over 8.6 million visitors in first half of 2022
Agritech, Greentech, Deeptech and Foodtech - foreign funds interests in Vietnam
Australian Foreign Minister enjoys Pho ga in Hanoi
Hanoi GRDP growth hits 7.79% in first half
Hanoi selects final design of Tran Hung Dao Bridge
Fiercer storms forecast to hit Vietnam towards year-end
Bun cha listed in the British Queen's Platinum Jubilee Cookbook
Hanoi seeks UNESCO’s support in culture, education and tourism