August 23: Vietnam’s Covid-19 death toll rises to 27
The Hanoitimes - Vietnam kept death-zero profile until late July when SARS-CoV-2 locally resurfaced.
Vietnam today reported one more death of coronavirus, taking the casualty toll of Covid-19 to 27, the Ministry of Health has announced.
The latest dead victim is a 73-year-old man in Danang. Causes of death are septic shock, multiple organ dysfunction syndrome (MODS), and pneumonia caused by Covid-19.
The patient suffered end-stage renal disease, hypertension, and cardiovascular failure.
|New coronavirus infections and deaths in Vietnam since the country suffered first casualties. Source: MOH. Chart: Linh Pham|
Vietnam had reported no coronavirus-caused deaths until July 31, a few days after the virus locally reemerged in the beach city of Danang.
Deputy Health Minister Nguyen Truong Son attributed the deaths to the patients' chronic diseases, aggravated by Covid-19, after SARS-CoV-2 attacked several hospitals in Danang.
The majority of Covid-19 deaths are old adults suffering end-stage kidney failure, hypertension, cardiovascular failure, or cancer.
The health ministry also informed that the Covid-19 case count reached 1,016 as of August 23, with 15 cities and provinces having found coronavirus. Among them, Danang remains the epicenter with the highest number of cases and deaths, followed by the neighboring province of Quang Nam.
Currently, some 55% of Covid-19 patients have recovered.
The situation has prompted Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc to demand tougher precautionary measures, including widespread testing and strict sanctions on offenders of safety regulations.
- Health experts ring alarm bell on coronavirus this winter
- Vietnam's top health official urges strict vigilance against Covid-19
- US, China donate ventilators and masks to aid Vietnam’s Covid-19 combat
- Hanoi’s 10th grader bags gold at Int’l Mathematical Olympiad 2020
- Telehealth in Vietnam connects over 1,000 health centers
- Last patient discharged from hospital, Danang free of Covid-19
- Vietnam to add medical supplies and equipment to national reserves
- Vietnam undergoes a week without local coronavirus infections
- Vietnam announces 35th Covid-19-related death
- Vietnam to adopt greater integration of technology in healthcare
Hanoi completes traffic infrastructure to develop satellite urban areas: Official
Hanoi real estate market to heat up by end-2020
Japan PM Suga makes surprise visit to Hoan Kiem lake
Close-up of first train of Hanoi’s second metro line put on rails
Apple partner Pegatron mulls US$1-billion investment in hi-tech projects in Vietnam
Hanoi’s weekend pedestrian streets allowed to reopen from September 18
European investors propose US$1 billion logistics project in Vietnam
Vietnam says ASEAN doesn’t want to get trapped between competition of major powers
Vietnam launches advisory message to prevent Covid-19 spread