August 9: Vietnam confirms 31 new coronavirus cases, 1 death
The Hanoitimes - The new infections keep Danang at the top among localities hit by Covid-19.
The Vietnamese Ministry of Heath on Sunday confirmed another 31 people positive with SARS-CoV-2, taking the case tally to 841.
|Leading health professionals are giving support to Danang. Photo: VGP|
All the new cases confirmed today are linked to Danang where the first community infection was detected on July 25 after 99 days without local transmission in Vietnam.
The new infections bring the number of Covid-19 patients in Danang to 267, largest among localities nationwide.
On the same day, the country reported one more death, who is a 55-year-old resident of Danang. The victim, identified as Patient No.456 suffered hypertension for years and was diagnosed to die of Covid-19 that caused pneumonia, acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS), multi-organ failure, and gastrointestinal bleeding. This is the 11th death of Covid-19 in Vietnam.
Prof. Nguyen Gia Binh, who joins the task force of leading health professionals, said that the deaths in Vietnam seem like force majeure as they are of advanced age and people with certain underlying illness.
|New infections and caseload in Vietnam since the local infection reemerged. Source: MOH. Chart: Linh Pham|
Among total 841 cases in Vietnam, 351 are imported. Since the Covid-19 resurgence, as many as 355 local infections have been detected in 15 cities and provinces.
So far, 19 health workers have been infected with SARS-CoV-2.
On August 9, Deputy Prime Minister Vu Duc Dam, who heads the National Committee on Covid-19 Prevention and Control, asked local authorities to accelerate tracing of people returning from Danang, and continue pursuing five principles namely prevention, detection, quarantine, lockdown, and stamping out.
“We’re confident that the epidemic will not break out on a large scale,” the Deputy PM noted.
- Vietnam health minister calls for tighter coronavirus control
- Vietnamese people put high trust in Russian Covid-19 vaccine
- Aging in Vietnam: The elderly to account for 20.4% by 2050
- One Covid-19 relapse suspect in Hanoi tests negative
- Vietnamese doctors carry out first-ever intestine transplants from live donors
- Vietnam successfully performs first simultaneous forearm transplant
- Two hotel employees in Hanoi exposed to Covid-19 patient test negative
- Vietnam may start human trial of Covid-19 vaccine this month
- Vietnam determined to remain safe from Covid-19 as winter nears
- Mass masking – significant factor for Vietnam’s Covid-19 success
Switzerland eyes signing of Vietnam–EFTA trade deal next year: Amb.
Vietnam targets mutual benefits in relations with China: PM
Xoi – the quintessential comfort food
Hang Trong folk painting - touch of legacy in modern life
Hanoi completes traffic infrastructure to develop satellite urban areas: Official
Close-up of first train of Hanoi’s second metro line put on rails
Apple partner Pegatron mulls US$1-billion investment in hi-tech projects in Vietnam
Hanoi’s weekend pedestrian streets allowed to reopen from September 18
European investors propose US$1 billion logistics project in Vietnam