Construction of Long Thanh International Airport must be accelerated: Prime Minister
With such sluggish construction progress, Long Thanh International Airport may not be able to become operational by 2025 as planned.
Prime Minister Pham Minh Chinh urged authorities in the southern province of Dong Nai to gear up the construction of Long Thanh International Airport in his inspection at the site on February 6.
|Prime Minister Pham Minh Chinh talked to workers from the building project of Long Thanh International Airport. Photo: VGP/ Nhat Bac|
According to the Prime Minister, Long Thanh International Airport is a key national project, but the construction progress is lagging behind schedule.
He asked relevant units to take responsibility for this delay. “The units assuming the task of building the airport must make every effort to achieve it. If they can’t, they must ‘stand aside’ and let others do the job”, he stressed.
In order to ensure the progress of the project, he also asked agencies and units to focus on finding specific solutions for the delay. Construction progress must be ensured, he said.
Long Thanh International Airport is currently under construction in Long Thanh City, Dong Nai province, some 40 km away from Ho Chi Minh City.
|The detailed perspective of Long Thanh International Airport. File photos|
According to the plan approved by the National Assembly in June 2015, the international airport is designed to handle 100 million passengers and five million tons of cargo per year by 2040.
The construction of what is the most expensive infrastructure project in Vietnam’s history started on January 5, 2021. The entire Long Thanh Airport, upon completion after three phases, would have four runways and four passenger terminals.
Once fully operational, the $16-billion airport will become a major international aviation hub in the Southeast Asian region.
- Hanoi’s latest proposal on Ring road No.4 project to save US$380 million
- Construction of $120-million compostable resin factory kicks off in Hai Phong
- Construction of Long Thanh International Airport must be accelerated: Prime Minister
- Samsung urged to speed up construction on R&D center
- Hanoi to invest in construction of Phu Dong Port
- Hanoi to complete construction of inland container depots soon
- US firms keen on investment in Vietnam
- Hanoi continues to lure international brands
- KKR invests in Vietnamese educational group
- Work on Long Thanh airport passenger terminal to start in 2022
India naval ships visit Vietnam
Eggs Festival held in Vietnam gather Michelin cooks
Vietnamese list among most willing travelers
A sanction, provocation, or testing option?
Hanoi GRDP growth hits 7.79% in first half
Hanoi selects final design of Tran Hung Dao Bridge
Fiercer storms forecast to hit Vietnam towards year-end
Bun cha listed in the British Queen's Platinum Jubilee Cookbook
Hanoi seeks UNESCO’s support in culture, education and tourism