First rail freight service from Hanoi to Belgium
As international sea transport is facing difficult times, there are a surge in demand for international goods transport from Vietnam to the EU.
Vietnam Railways Corporation (VNR) has launched its rail freight service from Vietnam to Belgium, opening up more rail transport routes to European countries in addition to the existing connections to Germany and Poland.
|Vietnam Railways Corporation's subsidiary opens its freight service to the EU. Photo: Ratraco|
The first container train left Vietnam to Belgium on July 20, from Yen Vien Station, Hanoi, and is expected to arrive in Liege City, Belgium next month.
The train will make a transit at China’s Zhengzhou city. Another locomotive of the Asia-Europe train will pull the rolling stock to the final destination, according to the VNR.
This was the first container train jointly operated by VNR's subsidiary Railway Transport and Trading JSC (Ratraco) and delivery businesses from other countries to provide logistics services between Vietnam and other countries.
The train, including 23 containers of 40 feet in length, carries Vietnamese goods such as textiles and footwear exported to Belgium.
Ratraco and its European partners have planned to conduct eight trips per month departing from Vietnam. The total estimated transport time is about 25-27 days.
The second train carrying electronic products will depart on July 27 and the third one on August 3, from Yen Vien Station.
As the increasing demand for cargo from Vietnam to the EU is hampered by the Covid-19 pandemic outbreak and international shipping facing tough times, rail freight is expected to be a way out to help businesses promote goods trading across borders.
- Boeing 737 Max aircraft expected to fly in Vietnam soon
- Vietnam urged to balance long-term trade interest amid China’s CPTPP application: Expert
- Vietnam to be among first countries ratifying RCEP
- Vietnamese Gov’t opts for US$936 million rescue package in tax waiving
- Vietnam remains Austria reliable partner in Southeast Asia
- Vietnam considers foreign business successes as its own: PM
- Vietnam to issue technical regulations on EO residue limit
- Vietnam GDP growth forecast to hit 5.5% in 2021: CEO HSBC Vietnam
- Vietnamese Gov’t waives tariff for imported products in Covid-19 fight
- Hanoi requests grocery retailers to ensure compliance with disease prevention
Vietnam, Cuba to set up alliances in biotechnology
Vietnam urged to balance long-term trade interest amid China’s CPTPP application: Expert
Mooncake heats up in Hanoi’s supermarket amid pandemic
Boeing 737 Max aircraft expected to fly in Vietnam soon
Skillful hands: get-rich-quick secret of Ha Thai lacquer craftsmen
5G carries Vietnam hope for future
Vietnam receives 1.5 million Covid-19 vaccine doses from France, Italy
Vn-Index set for upward trend from September 13-17
Vietnam looks for Finland experience in hi-tech, innovation