First Vietnamese professor wins European Mathematical prize
The European Mathematical prize is considered the second most prestigious mathematics award after the Fields Medal of the International Mathematical Union.
Prof. Phan Thanh Nam, 35, from Phu Yen, has been the first Vietnamese professor to win the European Mathematical Society (EMS) prize, VnExpress reported.
|Prof. Phan Thanh Nam. Photo: EMS Prizes|
The EMS prize is considered the second most prestigious mathematics award after the Fields Medal of the International Mathematical Union (IMU).
Since its inception in 1992, the EMS prizes are awarded every four years at the European Congress of Mathematics (ECM). At each ECM, up to ten EMS prizes are handed to young researchers under 35 years of age, who are European citizens or working in Europe, in recognition of their excellent contributions in mathematics. There have been eight awarding seasons to date.
This year, the awarding ceremony will not be held as usual at the European Congress of Mathematics (ECM) as it has been postponed until June 2021 because of the Covid-19 pandemic.
Nam is a former student of the Vietnam National University, Ho Chi Minh City. He is currently a math professor at the Ludwig Maximillian University in Munich, Germany.
Before starting his teaching career in Germany, Nam was an assistant professor in Masaryk University, the Czech Republic and a member of Austria’s Science and Technology Society. He has been invited twice to address the International Convention of Mathematical Physics.
In 2018, he was awarded the Young Scientist Award in the field of mathematical physics by the International Union of Pure and Applied Physics (IUPAP) for his excellent scientific research in mathematical physics.
Nam's research interests include mathematical physics analysis, especially multi-particle quantum mechanics, spectral theory, variation calculation, derivative equations and calculus.
- Vietnamese universities enter top 1,000 of QS global rankings
- Three Vietnamese universities break into THE’s Asia University Rankings 2021
- Vietnamese team bag six medals at 14th Asia-Pacific Informatics Olympiad
- Hanoi students bag gold medals at Asian Physics Olympiad
- Vietnam to double-check all quarantined incoming people
- Vietnam maps out scenarios against Covid-19 for national high school exam
- Numerous Vietnamese students begin stay home over latest Covid-19 outbreak
- Hack4Growth 2021 kicks off in Australia
- Vietnamese grandmaster qualified for international chess tournament
- Three Hanoi universities break into THE Impact Rankings
Expats show positive sentiment on fight against Covid-19 in Vietnam
EU expects to build university in Hanoi
Successful general election demonstrates people’s solidarity: Hanoi Party chief
Hanoi’s specialty: Westlake Lotus Tea
15th ADMM commits to peace and stability in South China Sea
First English-Vietnamese bilingual books introduced in the US
Hanoians visit market early for Doan Ngo Festival’s food
Hanoi seeks ideas for cultural industry development
National cultural heritage photography contest debuts