Hanoi welcomes first foreign visitor in 2020
The Hanoitimes - According to Vietnamese traditional custom, the first foreign visitor to Hanoi is considered the first-foot, who brings luck and expectation of a smooth start for the new year.
A French national was the first foreign arrival to Hanoi in 2020, who was accorded a warm welcoming ceremony by the municipal Tourism Department, Vietnam Airlines Corporation and Noi Bai International Airport.
|Alain Baron (middle), a French national, was the first foreign guest to Hanoi in 2020. Photo: Tuoi tre va Phap luat.|
Alain Baron, a French national flying on flight VN18 of flag carrier Vietnam Airlines, which landed at the Noi Bai International Airport at 6.am on January 1, was the first foreign visitor to Hanoi in 2020.
Baron and other 14 foreign visitors were welcomed at a ceremony, one of the significant activities to promote and lure inbound tourists to Hanoi. During the ceremony, the Hanoi Tourism Department affirmed that Vietnam’s capital is a safe, hospitable, high-quality and attractive destination.
According to Vietnamese traditional custom, the first foreign visitor to Hanoi is considered the first-foot, who brings luck and expectation of a smooth start for the new year.
The number of tourists to Hanoi reached nearly 29 million in 2019, up 10% year-on-year, including over 7 million foreigners, an inter-yearly increase of 17%.
In 2020, Hanoi sets the goals of receiving 31 million visitors, including 8.22 million foreign holidaymakers.
Last year, Hanoi was nominated as one of the world's 19 leading destination cities by the prestigious World Travel Awards.
- Vietnam resumes stimulus tourism activities as Covid-19 put under control
- Vietnam launches Green Travel webpage to boost responsible tourism
- Vietnamese travel businesses struggle with Covid-19 again
- Vietnam transport ministry eyes resumption of international flights
- Vietnamese travelers to benefits from post-Covid-19 tourism incentives
- Promos launched to revive Hanoi's tourism
- “Stay at home with Vietnam” online tour launched for foreigners in Covid-19 time
- Hard hit by Covid-19, Vietnam tourism companies go online
- Vietnam Airlines U-turns to transport passengers from Europe to Vietnam
- Hanoi craft villages urged to apply new technologies to promote products
Vietnam advances greatly in gender equality, but remains far from full equality: UN Women
Drastic measures needed to realize disbursement target of public funds
Vietnam PM requests thorough studies for night economy development
Colorful Hanoi’s street with mid-autumn toys and decorations
Apple partner Pegatron mulls US$1-billion investment in hi-tech projects in Vietnam
Hanoi’s weekend pedestrian streets allowed to reopen from September 18
European investors propose US$1 billion logistics project in Vietnam
Vietnam says ASEAN doesn’t want to get trapped between competition of major powers
Vietnam launches advisory message to prevent Covid-19 spread