Hanoi welcomes first foreign visitor in 2020
The Hanoitimes - According to Vietnamese traditional custom, the first foreign visitor to Hanoi is considered the first-foot, who brings luck and expectation of a smooth start for the new year.
A French national was the first foreign arrival to Hanoi in 2020, who was accorded a warm welcoming ceremony by the municipal Tourism Department, Vietnam Airlines Corporation and Noi Bai International Airport.
|Alain Baron (middle), a French national, was the first foreign guest to Hanoi in 2020. Photo: Tuoi tre va Phap luat.|
Alain Baron, a French national flying on flight VN18 of flag carrier Vietnam Airlines, which landed at the Noi Bai International Airport at 6.am on January 1, was the first foreign visitor to Hanoi in 2020.
Baron and other 14 foreign visitors were welcomed at a ceremony, one of the significant activities to promote and lure inbound tourists to Hanoi. During the ceremony, the Hanoi Tourism Department affirmed that Vietnam’s capital is a safe, hospitable, high-quality and attractive destination.
According to Vietnamese traditional custom, the first foreign visitor to Hanoi is considered the first-foot, who brings luck and expectation of a smooth start for the new year.
The number of tourists to Hanoi reached nearly 29 million in 2019, up 10% year-on-year, including over 7 million foreigners, an inter-yearly increase of 17%.
In 2020, Hanoi sets the goals of receiving 31 million visitors, including 8.22 million foreign holidaymakers.
Last year, Hanoi was nominated as one of the world's 19 leading destination cities by the prestigious World Travel Awards.
- Hard hit by Covid-19, Vietnam tourism companies go online
- Vietnam Airlines U-turns to transport passengers from Europe to Vietnam
- Hanoi craft villages urged to apply new technologies to promote products
- Vietnam tourism industry prepares post-epidemic plans
- Vietnam tourism industry takes strong hit from cororavirus
- Vietnam’s two biggest airports stop receiving arrivals from South Korea
- Vietnam launches stimulus program for inbound and domestic tours
- Vietnam's first int'l tourism office opened in UK
- Three scenarios for Vietnam’s tourism revival proposed
- Tourism revenue in Hanoi in Jan rises despite epidemic outbreak
No travel ban during national isolation period: Vietnam gov't speaker
Vietnam to stay among Asia’s fastest growing economies despite sharp slowdown: ADB
Hanoi sets up 30 checkpoints to prevent coronavirus contagion
Vietnam parliament set to ratify EVFTA in next sitting
Vietnam crude oil and natural gas production face downside risks on Covid-19
Hanoi ensures abundant supply of consumer goods in 15-day social distancing
Vietnam's factory activity drops to record low on Covid-19
Vietnam identifies three coronavirus hot spots, including largest hospital
Foreign companies express commitment to Vietnam efforts against Covid-19