MAY 15: Vietnam’s Covid-19 infections hit record high, one death
Vietnam reports the first person died of Covid-19 after eight months.
Vietnam on May 15 recorded 165 Covid-19 infections, the highest number since the coronavirus outbreak broken out in early 2020.
|Covid-19 infections in Vietnam. Source: MOH. Chart: Minh Vu|
On the day, the Ministry of Health (MoH) announced one person died of Covid-19, who was the 36th coronavirus death in Vietnam and the first since September 2020. The deceased, who is an 89-year-old woman in Bac Ninh province, tested positive for SARS-CoV-2 on May 13. She has some underlying diseases namely hypertension and diabetes.
Regarding infections, Bac Giang topped localities for the case with 109, mainly linked to Japan-invested Hosiden Vietnam Co., Ltd in Quang Chau Industrial Park (IP), Viet Yen district. So far, the province has reported 216 infections.
Due to the increasing infections, Bac Giang imposed social distancing in Viet Yen district from May 15 until further notice. Viet Yen is located Quang Chau and Van Trung IPs. The majority of Bac Giang's Covid-19 infections are detected there.
|Quang Ninh's health professionals before leaving to help Bac Giang. Photo: Baobacgiang|
To help Bac Giang improve testing capacity, the Ministry of Health on May 15 sent a team of leading testing experts to support the local government in this process. Meanwhile, a group of 200 health professionals in Quang Ninh province also came to Bac Giang to assist the province in testing.
On the same day, the Ministry of Health announced two Covid-19 variants detected in Vietnam, namely B.1.222 and B.1.619 after genomic sequencing conducted by domestic scientists.
According to the ministry, B.1.222 variant has been reported in 12 countries, mainly in the UK while B.1.619 was likely from Cameroon and spread to the Europe. The local experts attributed the country's rising infections to the presence of some variants.
Vietnam’s total caseload has climbed to 3,981.
- State President Nguyen Xuan Phuc wraps up successful trip to Russia
- China to grant US$3 million Covid relief to Vietnam: Wang Yi
- People-centered approach matters to subregion development in ASEAN: Vietnamese PM
- Vietnam works with WHO, CDC on Omicron variant
- Vietnamese President arrives in Moscow, affirming 70-year special ties with Russia
- Vietnam's warship arrives in Indonesia port for ASEAN-Russia Naval Exercise
- Health sector wants to suspend flights to/from Omicron-affected countries
- Vietnam promotes production of Covid-19 drugs, vaccines
- EFTA – spotlight in Vietnamese President’s visit to Switzerland
- Vietnamese PM puts forth priorities to bolster cooperation in ASEM
State President Nguyen Xuan Phuc wraps up successful trip to Russia
Avoiding economic disruption key for Vietnam to stay competitive: JETRO
Vietnamese composers win Music Against Child Labour song competition
Vietjet Air to operate direct flights to Russia in mid-2022
Fostering creativity from Hanoi’s cultural resources
Wild pear flower season comes early on the streets of Hanoi
Businesses recovery vital for Vietnam’s economic prospects: Expert
Safe, flexible adaptation to Covid-19 remains priority for Vietnam in 2022
Vietnam joins the world to end violence against women