MAY 18: Vietnam’s Covid-19 cases hit 4,500
The widespread transmission of the novel coronavirus has forced Bac Giang to suspend four industrial parks that house hundreds of foreign-invested firms.
The number of people tested positive for Covid-19 in Vietnam hit 4,500 as of May 18, including 2,687 patients have recovered and 37 deaths.
|A national consultation meeting for treatment of critical cases on May 18. Photo: Suckhoedoisong|
More than 100,000 people are in quarantine at hospitals, centralized zones, homea and lodging facilities.
On May 18, the country confirmed 152 cases, including 96 from Bac Giang hotspot.
The Ministry of Health (MoH) reported 20 patients of critical condition. A national consultation meeting was held online to find the best treatment for them who infected with Indian variant’s sublineage B.1.617.2.
Bac Giang remains the hotspot that draws the attention of government members, including Health Minister Nguyen Thanh Long who came to check the situation there. The widespread transmission has forced the province to suspend four industrial parks where 504 companies are located in.
Meanwhile, Bac Ninh, where is home to Samsung Electronics Vietnam (SEV), put on lockdown a city of 220,000 residents and a district which accommodates Canon Vietnam Co., Ltd to prevent the spread of the pandemic.
Regarding vaccine, MoH reached a deal to buy 31 million Pfizer-BioNTech Covid-19 Vaccine doses that are expected to be delivered in the third and fourth quarters this year.
|Covid-19 infections in Vietnam between April 29 and May 18. Source: MOH. Chart: Minh Vu|
- Greece wants to be transshipment hub for Vietnam goods to EU
- Vietnam seeks UNICEF support for children-focused SDGs by 2030
- Vietnam seeks climate finance from G7
- Hanoi gives SEA Games 31 warm, thoughtful welcome
- Vietnam, Laos boost construction of road linking two capital cities
- SEA Games 31: Vietnam end group stage without conceding a goal
- Visitors to Vietnam no longer required Covid-19 testing
- US-ASEAN Joint Statement reaffirms comprehensive Dialogue Relations
- EU-funded program promotes women’s economic empowerment in Vietnam
- Indonesia defense minister visits Vietnam, highlighting navy cooperation
Vietnam opens doors for foreign investors in new business fields: PM
Dream of a riverside city
Where to go and what to do in Hanoi for locals and tourists?
Exhibitions mark President Ho Chi Minh’s 132nd birthday anniversary
The Vietnam-US comprehensive partnership facilitates investment activities: PM
FPT opens new office in New York, 10th in US
Vietnam’s e-commerce: driver for economic recovery in post-Covid-19
Vietnam, Qualcomm boost cooperation for 5G development
SEA Games 31 delegates get free Hanoi Bus Tour