Vietnam declares outbreak of coronavirus in coastal tourist hub
The Hanoitimes - Khanh Hoa is the first locality in Vietnam to detect a human-to-human transmission case so far.
Vietnam’s Ministry of Health on February 1 announced an outbreak of the new coronavirus (nCoV) disease in the central province of Khanh Hoa one day after a resident tested positive with the virus.
The 25-year-old female patient is now in quarantine at Khanh Hoa Hospital of Tropical Diseases, the ministry said in a statement.
As of 5:00 pm Friday [January 31], Khanh Hoa had identified 23 suspected cases.
Khanh Hoa is home to Nha Trang city and the world’s famous beaches, welcoming millions of tourists per year, especially Chinese nationals.
In the announcement, the ministry stated that the nCoV is a person-to-person transmission, listed Type A infectious diseases with global health emergency.
So far, Vietnam has found six cases, including two Chinese nationals and three coming back to the country from Wuhan city where the nCoV epidemic broke out.
Vietnam made the announcement of the outbreak one day after the World Health Organization (WHO) declared the outbreak of a novel coronavirus a global health emergency, an acknowledgment of the risk the virus poses to countries beyond its origin in China and of the need for a more coordinated international response to it.
As of Saturday, the number of infected people surpass 11,302 globally, including more than 258 deaths, all in China.
The large majority of infections in other countries have been in people who were infected with the virus while in China and then traveled to the other nations.
- Vietnam repatriates citizens from Singapore amid rising coronavirus infections
- Vietnam “most outstanding” in handling coronavirus - Media
- More than 340 Vietnamese citizens brought home from Taiwan
- Business formations in Vietnam surge 36% m/m in May
- Singapore PM congratulates Vietnam on handling of Covid-19
- ASEAN Summit to take place in Vietnam in June as planned, Hanoi says
- Vietnam ministries study resumption of inbound tourism
- Vietnam wants Hong Kong to remain stable and prosperous
- Four key measures help Vietnam control coronavirus
- Vietnam might make exceptions to age limits for key leadership posts next term
What to do in Hanoi in 24 hours: Nightlife
Hanoi donates face masks to New York to support Covid-19 fight
Specific criteria needed for Vietnam to attract FDI into priority areas
Hanoi’s residents alarmed at indoor air pollution
Predictable legal environment to help Vietnam attract FDI post Covid-19: NTT Data Vietnam CEO
Scorching heat strikes Hanoi with temperature surging to 40 degrees Celsius
Hanoi to build sewage collection system to revive its dying river
More monetary easing measures still to come in Vietnam: Fitch
Iconic lakes in Hanoi