New coronavirus variant found in dead Japanese patient in Vietnam
Five Covid-19 variants have been so far identified in Vietnam, including the infectious strains detected in the UK and South Africa.
Vietnam has said it found a new coronavirus mutant on a deceased Japanese citizen who posthumously tested positive for SARS-CoV-2 in the country in mid-February.
|Hotel where the Japanese man stays in Hanoi. Photo: Truong Hung/Phunuvietnam|
The variant, which is sometimes referred to as 20C, is detected for the first time in Vietnam, Health Minister Nguyen Thanh Long said at a government meeting on February 24.
Associate Prof. Tran Dac Phu, senior advisor to the Vietnam Public Health Emergency Operations Center (PHEOC), said the variant that mainly circulates in South Korea, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, and India is not a highly contagious strain.
This is the fifth Covid variant detected in Vietnam after the “B lineage” and called B.1.1.7, the variant firstly found in South Africa, the “A lineage” and referred to as A.23.1 firstly detected in Rwanda in October 2020, and D614G known more familiarly to scientists as “G”.
Regarding the Japanese patient, Hanoi quickly conducted genomic sequencing to find the transmission source as the 54-year-old man went to different places before he was found dead at a hotel in Hanoi on February 13.
The man, who was an expert working for MITSUI & CO. VIETNAM LTD, was under quarantine in Ho Chi Minh City between January 17 and 31 before flying to Hanoi where he stayed at the hotel from February 1.
Vietnam is making efforts to curb the spread of Covid-19 as new cases remain recorded in some cities and provinces. As of February 24, the country has 2,403 infections, including 643 active.
As more variants are detected, international health experts have warned that the Covid pandemic would likely break out in other parts of the world despite the falling number of infections.
- Danang announces list of housing projects for foreign ownership
- Citizen engagement makes Covid-19 fight successful in Vietnam
- Vietnam, Brunei seek further comprehensive partnership
- Vietnam President vows to support ASEAN Community Vision 2025
- Vietnam warned of imported Covid-19 transmission amid rising regional cases
- Shipbuilding: Iconic India-Vietnam defense partnership
- Daniel Kritenbrink awarded medal for contributions to Vietnam-US relations
- New government expected to address existing issues
- ASEAN and partners’ defense officials prepare for joint statement
- Vietnam-US relations definitely go further: Daniel Kritenbrink
Citizen engagement makes Covid-19 fight successful in Vietnam
C.bank expects credit growth to exceed 12%-target for 2021
Japanese and Vietnamese artists to perform symphony concert
Danang announces list of housing projects for foreign ownership
Vietnam warned of imported Covid-19 transmission amid rising regional cases
Hanoi team ranks 1st at National Archery Championships 2021
Vietnam moves up in int’l vaccine regulation ranking
Vietnam to cut research time of Covid-19 vaccines amid thin supply
Corporate bonds of real estate - risky commercial debt for investors