ODA-funded projects for Vietnam encounter barriers
The Hanoitimes - Payment and site clearance delay are major barriers to official development assistance (ODA)-funded projects in Vietnam, chief representative of the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) in Vietnam Fujita Yasuo told at the yesterday`s press conference in Hanoi.
In the first half of the fiscal year 2017 from April 1 – September 30, Japanese ODA-funded projects brought fruits to Vietnam, mostly in the three pillars of promoting growth and competitiveness, coping with vulnerable issues and strengthening governance. Among them are a north-south highway and a project to transfer vaccine production technology to Vietnam’s State-run POLYVAC company.
Procurement data also showed that Vietnamese firms won numerous contracts via ODA projects. Yasuo said JICA highly values the Vietnamese government’s efforts to limit public debts, adding that ODA disbursement is not a major factor to increase public debts.
JICA suggests the Vietnamese government continue reviewing procedures to promptly decide on budget allocation for projects using loans, he said.
In the near future, JICA will continue working more closely with the Vietnamese government to discuss how to effectively devise and carry out priority projects, use capital from the private sector and Japanese firms.
During the six-month period, Japan committed nearly 61.8 billion JPY worth of ODA to new projects, 51.2 billion USD of which was disbursed. A project using non-refundable aid worth 1.8 billion JPY was also signed.
- Vietnam should be cautious about environmental impact investment: JICA
- Japan’s ODA to Vietnam to focus on issues of global concerns from 2020: JICA
- Private sector investment finance – JICA’s tool to seek investment in infrastructure
- Vietnam tops priority of Japanese infrastructure investment
- Hanoi eager to quicken railway projects's pace
- Belgium helps Vietnam to respond to climate change
- PM urges report on Ho Chi Minh City's two key metro lines
- Australia provides US$24 million to Vietnam's transport projects
- France keeps funding projects for Vietnam strategic development
- ODA-funded projects for Vietnam encounter barriers
Hanoi looks to comprehensive cooperation with India’s localities
Vietnam extends school closure for one more week over Covid-19
Vietnam, South Korea FMs talk after Hanoi’s visa halt
Hanoi willing to cooperate with Kazakhstan’s capital city
CDC removes Vietnam from list of global epidemic zones
Covid-19 poses both challenges and opportunities for businesses: Indian amb.
Hanoi needs to conduct anti-coronavirus drills: Party chief
Hanoi quarantines 174 people returning from South Korea’s Covid-19-hit city
Covid-19 dampens Vietnam businesses’ optimism: Survey