South Korea GS Energy to build 3,000MW LNG power plant in Vietnam
The Hanoitimes - The partnership will enable GS Energy to accumulate business know-how of the “LNG value chain” in Vietnam.
South Korea’s GS Energy has inked a deal with Vietnam-focused fund manager VinaCapital to build a liquefied natural gas (LNG)-fired power plant in southern Vietnam.
|VinaCapital CEO Don Lam and GS Energy President Huh Yong-soo. Photoe: GS Energy|
Through the partnership, the two firms will jointly build a 3,000-megawattt LNG-fired combined cycle power plant and sell electricity to state-run Vietnam Electricity (EVN), GS Energy said in a statement.
The signing ceremony took place in Seoul on November 28 in the attendance of GS Energy President Huh Yong-soo and VinaCapital CEO Don Lam.
To operate and manage the power plant, GS Energy plans to establish an LNG value chain in Vietnam by introducing LNG and managing storage and vaporization facilities.
“The government’s active support including the New Southern Policy has significantly helped us to clinch the latest strategic deal with VinaCapital,” the Korea Herald quoted GS Energy President Huh Yong-soo as saying.
The company also said that it will expand its core businesses, including petrochemistry, resources development and integrated energy supply in overseas markets.
The partnership enables GS Energy, which is South Korea’s largest private power producer, to boost power generation in Vietnam in the context that the Southeast Asian country is actively seeking to ramp up energy production to feed its rapid growing economy.
To push forward the development of LNG-to-power, the government of Vietnam has issued a number of policies and initiatives to increase the LNG utilization.
Under the Vietnam Gas Industry Development Master Plan to 2035, the gas production volume across the country will increase from 10 billion cubic meter (cu.m) per year to 21 billion cu.m/year in the 2015 – 2035 period.
- Fitch Solutions revises up Vietnam GDP growth forecast in 2020 to 3%
- Greater business confidence helps Vietnam manufacturing sector rebound
- Vietnam announces wind power projects for master energy development planning
- Business formations in Vietnam maintains growth momentum, up 28% m/m in June
- FDI commitments to Vietnam down 15% to US$15.67 billion in H1
- Vietnam needs reform 3.0 to further improve business environment
- Vietnam warned of troublemaking transshipment from China, S.Korea to US
- Sweden, Vietnam share similarities and challenges in energy sector
- Vietnam network sharing deal a positive for future telco collaborations
- Car sales in Vietnam surge 62% in May amid Covid-19 under control
“Extraordinary progress of the US-Vietnam relationship is not an accident”: Ambassador Kritenbrink
Hanoi plants around 67,700 trees in H1
Viet Solutions contest encourages application of Vietnam digital technology
Hanoi's face mask donation arrives in New York
ASEAN Summit in Hanoi expected to boost intra-regional economic links
Hanoi works closely with ADB to ensure progress of urban infrastructure projects
Vietnam Airlines retakes Jetstar Pacific from Qantas
Hanoi strives to ensure safe and stable investment environment for investors
Removal of permanent residency requirement to pressurize Hanoi's budget