Vietnam announces list of 39 dead victims in Essex lorry case
The Hanoitimes - The oldest victims were a 44-year-old man from Nghe An and a 41-year-old women from Hai Phong while the youngest ones were 15 and 17 years old.
Vietnam’s Ministry of Public Security (MPS) has published the list of 39 Vietnamese nationals who lost their lives in a refrigerated lorry in Essex, the UK last month although several government officials had said they would not reveal the victims’ identities due to “humanitarian reasons.”
According to the list published by the MPS, Nghe An province had the largest number of victims (22), followed by Ha Tinh (9), Hai Phong (3), Quang Binh (3), Hai Duong (1) and Thua Thien - Hue (1).
| Data source: Essex police, MPS|
According to Essex Police, the oldest victims were a 44-year-old man from Nghe An and a 41-year-old women from Hai Phong while the youngest ones were 15 and 17 years old.
The senior officer in overall charge of the enquiry Assistant Chief Constable Tim Smith said: “Our priority has been to identify the victims, to preserve the dignity of those who have died and to support the victims’ friends and families.
“It remained of paramount importance to us to ensure that an individual’s next of kin were informed, and that they were given some time to absorb this tragic news before we publicly confirmed their loved one’s identity,” Smith added.
The ministry’s spokesperson To An Xo explained the MPS announced the identities because Essex Police had done so earlier.
- Vietnam’s National Assembly convenes semi-annual meeting
- Vietnam ranks higher in Asian Power Index 2020
- Vietnam plays vital role in Japan’s Indo-Pacific policy: PM Suga
- Vietnam closely watches US presidential election: Spokesperson
- Suga arrives in Hanoi in first overseas trip as Japan PM
- Vietnam gets ready to hold ASEAN Summit in mid-November: Spox
- Vietnam truly hopes for early vaccines against Covid-19: Spox
- UPDATE: Japan PM to visit Vietnam on Oct. 18-20
- Japan PM Suga’s Vietnam visit to deepen Extensive Strategic Partnership: Spox
- Transnational economic recovery to be key topic in Japan PM's Vietnam visit
Japan strongly condemns all acts escalating tensions in South China Sea: PM Suga
Japan PM Suga makes surprise visit to Hoan Kiem lake
Historic flooding in central Vietnam: 102 dead and 26 missing
Close-up of first train of Hanoi’s second metro line put on rails
Apple partner Pegatron mulls US$1-billion investment in hi-tech projects in Vietnam
Hanoi’s weekend pedestrian streets allowed to reopen from September 18
European investors propose US$1 billion logistics project in Vietnam
Vietnam says ASEAN doesn’t want to get trapped between competition of major powers
Vietnam launches advisory message to prevent Covid-19 spread