Vietnam former Party chief passes away
The Hanoitimes - Le Kha Phieu is known for promoting a campaign to push back corruption and bureaucracy inside the Party.
Senior Lieutenant General Le Kha Phieu, former general secretary of the Communist Party of Vietnam, passed away on early Friday morning (August 7) at the age of 89.
Le Kha Phieu speaks to the press in 2017. Photo: Tung Dinh
The veteran politician died of illness and old age, the national board in charge of senior officials’ health said.
Born on December 27, 1931 in the central province of Thanh Hoa, he held senior positions in the army from 1964 to 1992, reaching Commissioner of the General Political Department of the People's Army of Vietnam.
In 1991, at the seventh National Party Congress, he was elected the Party Central Committee and assigned a seat in the Party Secretariat the following year.
In 1996, he made his way to the Politburo, the supreme decision-making body in Vietnam, and held the top job, General Secretary of the Party Central Committee, from December 1997 to April 2001.
He is known for promoting a campaign to push back corruption and bureaucracy inside the Party
Details about his funeral are expected to be announced soon.
Mr. Phieu’s predecessor, Do Muoi, who held the highest position in Vietnam’s political system from June 1991 to December 1997, died on October 1, 2018 at the age of 101.
- First international flight to Vietnam is from South Korea
- Vietnam, US hold 11th Political, Security and Defense Dialogue
- Vietnam PM agrees to reopen air routes to Thailand
- Foreigners to Vietnam required to pay quarantine and testing fees
- Vietnam willing to share experience with UK on CPTPP accession
- Vietnam airlines to relaunch int'l flights from September 18
- Vietnam announces Covid-19 quarantine fees for visitors
- Vietnam gov’t aims for 6.5% GDP growth in 2021
- Vietnam expects to lift up ties with Japan after Abe's resignation
- Vietnam to strictly screen incoming air passengers
EVFTA to help realize Vietnam's high-income status ambition: Expert
UN and SOVICO help develop Hanoi into creative city
First international flight to Vietnam is from South Korea
Slow extension of FiT scheme hurts investor appetite in Vietnam wind power: GWEC
Apple partner Pegatron mulls US$1-billion investment in hi-tech projects in Vietnam
Hanoi’s weekend pedestrian streets allowed to reopen from September 18
European investors propose US$1 billion logistics project in Vietnam
Vietnam says ASEAN doesn’t want to get trapped between competition of major powers
Vietnam launches advisory message to prevent Covid-19 spread