Vietnam lengthens school closure to prevent Covid-19 spread
The Hanoitimes - The mandatory closing may be closed until the end of February or more depending on the evolution of the epidemic.
Vietnam continues closing all school for one more week, lengthening the closure to a third consecutive week in an effort to prevent the spreading of the novel coronavirus (Covid-19)-caused respiratory sickness.
|Schoolchildren will not go to school for another week. Photo: Zing|
As many as 56 out of 63 cities and provinces nationwide decided to close schools until the end of February.
The southern metropolis of Ho Chi Minh City plans to close schools until the end of March.
Vietnam has more than 24 million schoolchildren.
In another move, Minister of Education and Training Phung Xuan Nha on February 14 proposed forced school break to be extended until the end of February on fears of the Covid-19 epidemic.
The ministry has also planned to stretch out the academic year to ensure the teaching program.
Meanwhile, a number of schools have launched online teaching to ensure the progress of the curriculum.
Closing schools is one of measures that Vietnam has taken so far together with quarantining people at risk of Covid-19 infection, denying visitors from and traveling across China.
Especially, the country has quarantined a commune of more than 10,000 people in the northern province of Vinh Phuc for having several people infected with Covid-19.
So far, Covid-19 cases have been reported in four cities and provinces across Vietnam, namely Vinh Phuc with 11, Ho Chi Minh City with 3, the central province of Khanh Hoa 1, and the central province of Thanh Hoa 1. Seven of the infected people have recovered and been discharged from hospital.
- Vietnam education ministry trims curricula as schools stay shut
- Hanoi extends school break till April 5 on Covid-19
- Hanoi offers televised lectures for 9th and 12th-grade students
- Hanoi universities break into top global ranking
- Vietnam extends school closure for one more week over Covid-19
- Class resumption sparks social controversy amid Covid-19 epidemic
- Vietnam yet to decide to reopen schools on Covid-19 epidemic
- Vietnam extends time frame for 2019-2020 academic year due to Covid-19 epidemic
- Three Vietnam universities named among the best in emerging economies
- Ho Chi Minh City plans to extend school break till end-March
Hanoi sets up 30 checkpoints to prevent coronavirus contagion
Vietnam to stay among Asia’s fastest growing economies despite sharp slowdown: ADB
Touching moments recorded at Bach Mai Hospital under isolation
Vietnam not to penalize foreigners’ overstay during national social distancing
Vietnam crude oil and natural gas production face downside risks on Covid-19
Hanoi ensures abundant supply of consumer goods in 15-day social distancing
Vietnam's factory activity drops to record low on Covid-19
Vietnam identifies three coronavirus hot spots, including largest hospital
Foreign companies express commitment to Vietnam efforts against Covid-19