Vietnam PM seeks “double win” against Covid-19
The Hanoitimes - Despite initial successes in preventing the spread of the Covid-19, Vietnam is actively in the search for a type of “vaccine” that could halt the slowdown of the economy.
Vietnam aims to not only contain the Covid-19 epidemic, but also maintain high economic growth and stable macro-economic conditions, Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc said at a meeting of the National Financial and Monetary Policy Advisory Council on February 25.
|Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc at the meeting. Source: VGP.|
However, PM Phuc recognized it was a challenging task as Vietnam’s major economic partners are facing economic slowdowns.
He said the Covid-19 epidemic is causing negative impacts on the global economy while Europe is now being affected, unlike previous forecasts.
Despite initial successes in preventing the spread of the Covid-19, Phuc stated Vietnam is actively in the search for a type of “vaccine” that could halt the downhill trend of the economy and keep the growth momentum from last year.
The Ministry of Planning and Investment in its latest forecast expected Vietnam’s GDP growth to fall to a 7-year low of 5.96% in 2020, significantly lower than the growth target of 6.8% for the year. The country has experienced high economic growth rates of over 7% in the last two years.
However, in a meeting on February 5, PM Phuc said the government would not revise down the GDP growth target in face of new challenges.
- Vietnam National Economic Advisory Council sees GDP growth at 3 – 4% in 2020
- Vietnam brings home more than 1,100 citizens over past week
- Vietnam, US strengthen partnership in overcoming war legacies
- Vietnam to hold first-ever int’l defense expo later this year
- Japan thanks Vietnam for accommodating warship plane
- Vietnam's positive growth in Q2 defies market expectations: HSBC
- Vietnam plans to repatriate 14,000 more citizens
- Vietnam allows another one-month stay extension for stranded tourists
- World Bank appoints new country director for Vietnam
- Vietnam brings more than 500 citizens from France, Japan
Hanoi seeks to restart zoning plan for Red river
Vietnam National Economic Advisory Council sees GDP growth at 3 – 4% in 2020
Vietnam brings home more than 1,100 citizens over past week
Hanoi targets hi-tech farming to make up 70% of total agricultural production value
ASEAN Summit in Hanoi expected to boost intra-regional economic links
Hanoi works closely with ADB to ensure progress of urban infrastructure projects
Vietnam Airlines retakes Jetstar Pacific from Qantas
Hanoi strives to ensure safe and stable investment environment for investors
Removal of permanent residency requirement to pressurize Hanoi's budget