Vietnam reports first Covid-19 death
The Hanoitimes - Vietnam had done its best to keep its casualty-free coronavirus profile for months amid widespread of the global pandemic.
Vietnam has confirmed the first death of SARS-CoV-2 since the start of the pandemic after trying hard to avoid fatalities, the National Steering Committee for Covid-19 Prevention and Control has confirmed.
|Transport of patients in critical conditions. Photo: Tuoi Tre|
The victim is a 70-year-old man, identified as Patient No.428, who resided in Hoi An city of Quang Nam province that borders Danang.
The man, who tested positive for the novel coronavirus on July 27, was at end-stage renal disease (ESRD) in Danang Hospital and a years-long hemodialysis patient.
He was hospitalized on July 9 for hypertension, ischemic heart disease, heart failure, and pneumonia.
In recent national consultations for Covid-19 patients, Associate Prof. Luong Ngoc Khue, head of the Administration of Medical Examination and Treatment under the Ministry of Health, predicted the worst condition of this patient due to his serious pre-existing diseases.
Before this victim, Vietnam, with a 97-million population, was the most populous country in the world that successfully kept its casualty-zero coronavirus profile amid the global spread of the pandemic for the past seven months.
Vietnam has to date reported 509 infections, of them several are in critical conditions due to advanced ages and pre-existing illnesses.
The country had done all to save the life of a British pilot who underwent more than three months under treatment and was flown home on July 12.
So far, 24 out of 215 countries and territories that Covid-19 is sweeping report no casualties from SARS-CoV-2.
- Covid-19 may hurt up to 5 million workers in Vietnam in Q3
- Danang sets up field hospitals as local coronavirus infections surge
- Vietnam strives to stamp down Covid-19 in highly infectious Danang hospital
- Vietnam successfully develops two sets of SARS-CoV-2 test kits
- Ho Chi Minh City closes entertainment facilities
- Vietnam authorities seize nearly 1 million poor quality face masks
- Vietnam reports first Covid-19 death
- Vietnam sets up special task force in Danang as local infections surge
- World Bank provides US$6.2-million grant to help Vietnam cope with Covid-19
- Journey home from Equatorial Guinea of over 100 coronavirus-infected Vietnamese citizens
Vietnam gov't strives to ensure positive economic growth this year
Vietnam PM okays national high school exams amid Covid-19 resurgence
Hanoi named among TripAdvisor’s 25 popular destinations
Vietnam economy shows positive signs in 7 months: PM
Vietnam stock market needs upgrading to emerging status soon: PM
ASEAN Summit in Hanoi expected to boost intra-regional economic links
Hanoi works closely with ADB to ensure progress of urban infrastructure projects
Vietnam Airlines retakes Jetstar Pacific from Qantas
Hanoi strives to ensure safe and stable investment environment for investors