Vietnam trade surplus hits nearly US$5.5 billion in Jan-Jun
The Hanoitimes - Vietnam’s external trade decreased 1.4% year-on-year to nearly US$240.12 billion in the six-month period.
Vietnam posted a trade surplus of US$5.46 billion in the first six months of 2020, thanks to a surplus of US$1.8 billion in June, according to the General Department of Vietnam Customs (GDVC).
|Data: GDVC. Chart: Hai Yen.|
The government-run General Statistics Office last month estimated a trade surplus of US$4 billion for the six-month period.
In June, exports rose by 17.6% month-on-month to US$22.5 billion, while imports reached US$20.7 billion, up 14%. This resulted in a trade surplus of US$1.8 billion, marking the fourth month in which trade surplus topped US$1 billion in the first half this year, according to GDVC.
Revenue of some of Vietnam’s major export staples soared in the second half of June compared to the first half. They included phones and parts with an increase of 26.9% or US$432 million; textile with 24.8% or US$287 million; computers, electronic devices and parts with 13% or U$241 million; machinery, equipment and parts, up 16% or US$141 million.
Overall, the country’s external trade decreased 1.4% year-on-year to nearly US$240.12 billion in the six-month period. Upon breaking down, exports edged up 0.2% year-on-year to US$122.79 billion, and imports slipped 2.9% to US$117.33 billion.
Foreign-invested companies recorded a trade value of US$145.38 billion during the period, down 5.5% year-on-year, including $79.72 billion in exports, accounting for 64.9% of Vietnam’s export turnover. They spent US$65.66 billion on imports, down 5.3%, making up 56% of total imports. This resulted in a trade surplus of US$14.06 billion.
Meanwhile, the domestic-invested sector recorded a trade value of US$94.74 billion, up 5.7% or US$5.14 billion, or 39.4% of Vietnam’s total trade volume.
- Vietnam to push for trade and industrial cooperation with American partners
- Vietnamese agricultural exports to EU soar on EVFTA
- EVFTA to help realize Vietnam's high-income status ambition: Expert
- Largest online conference to boost Vietnamese agricultural export
- Vietnam trade minister highlights preliminary successes from EVFTA, CPTPP
- Vietnam, Israel accelerates negotiation for trade deal
- Vietnamese aviation authority proposes 3 options for transfer passengers from 3rd country
- Vietnam continues launching tour promos as pandemic contained
- Vietnam car imports surge over 85% in August
- Vietnam GDP growth to reach 8.1% in 2021: Goldman Sachs
Hanoi disallows begging, tourist harassment in downtown pedestrian streets
Vietnam to push for trade and industrial cooperation with American partners
Vietnam uses locally-made test kits for incoming guests
Vietnam welcomes foreigners but closely eyes Covid-19 infection risk
Apple partner Pegatron mulls US$1-billion investment in hi-tech projects in Vietnam
Hanoi’s weekend pedestrian streets allowed to reopen from September 18
European investors propose US$1 billion logistics project in Vietnam
Vietnam says ASEAN doesn’t want to get trapped between competition of major powers
Vietnam launches advisory message to prevent Covid-19 spread