Vietnam transport ministry urged to report on new cargo airline
The new cargo airline has a total investment of US$100 million.
The Vietnamese Ministry of Transport (MoT) is urged to report to the Government on Vietnam's first air freighter project before July 15.
The request was made by Deputy Prime Minister Le Van Thanh, related to a plea to help the establishment of IPP Air Cargo JSC’s in June.
|Vietnam has not yet had a cargo airline. Photo: Vietnam Airlines|
Previously, the Civil Aviation Authority of Vietnam (CAAV) requested the MoT for more guidance on building and appraising the application for an air transport business license for IPP Air Cargo.
The CAAV said last April that the Prime Minister agreed new airlines should be licensed only after 2022 when the aviation market supposedly recovers after the pandemic.
However, the IPP Air Cargo project owner said the new airlines in question are those carrying passengers, not air freighters.
The IPP Air Cargo, if come into being, would reduce logistic costs for exporting farm produce, in line with the Government’s direction.
The new cargo airline project has a total investment of VND2.4 trillion (about US$100 million), including 30% of the company’s equity capital, the remaining 70% mobilized.
The IPP Air Cargo is a member of Imex Pan Pacific Group (IPPG) owned by businessman Johnathan Hanh Nguyen.
The company planned to operate five cargo aircraft in the first year of operation, then gradually increase to seven aircraft in the second year and ten aircraft in the third year.
The company estimated to transport about 115,000 tons of cargo and generate revenue of US$71 million in the first year of operation. It expected to conduct the first commercial flight from the second quarter of 2022 and earn profits from the fourth year.
Vietnam has not yet had a cargo airline so far. More than 80% of Vietnam’s foreign shipments by air are delivered by foreign airlines.
The passenger planes of Vietnamese airlines have been used to carry freight that has made up for the loss of revenue from passenger air travel during the period of the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Bolstering Australia-Vietnam investment cooperation for mutual benefits
- Sojitz, Vinamilk to invest in $500-million beef project in Vietnam
- Vietnam, Japan sign cooperation agreements worth billions of US dollars
- Vietnamese PM calls for Japan’s support of new-generation ODA
- Vietnamese Gov’t sets up 6 task forces to accelerate public investment
- Vietnamese automaker VinFast opens US headquarters in Los Angeles
- Hanoi-based e-commerce platform raises US$22.5 million led by VNG
- Hanoi to have new airport in 2030-2050
- Vietnam-based Tiki secures $258 million in series E funding
- Vietnam calls for foreign investment in 157 projects
Wind power to lead Vietnam’s pathway to net-zero target: international experts
Hanoi to pour US$19.2-billion in housing development in 2021-2025 period
Vietnam manufacturing conditions improve in second month running
Fostering creativity from Hanoi’s cultural resources
Wild pear flower season comes early on the streets of Hanoi
Businesses recovery vital for Vietnam’s economic prospects: Expert
Safe, flexible adaptation to Covid-19 remains priority for Vietnam in 2022
Vietnam joins the world to end violence against women
Japanese giants pledge further support for Vietnam