Vietnam, US trade sets new record
The Hanoitimes - The US is now Vietnam’s second largest trading partner with total export-import turnover increasing by 25.8% in the last two months to US$4.9 billion.
According to the General Department of Customs, Vietnam’s export earnings from the US market this year are projected to shoot up 26.5% compared to 2013 and reach US$3.9 billion.
Bilateral trade hit US$29.1 billion in 2013, up 18.8% against 2012, quadrupling the figure recorded in 2005.
Since 2007 the US has been the biggest consumer of Vietnamese goods and the seventh biggest supplier of its products to Vietnam.
However, Vietnam only accounted for a tiny proportion in the total export and import value of the US (nearly 1%), according to the latest data released by UN Comtrade.
From the US perspective, Vietnam ranked in 23rd place among all the exporters to this lucrative market and 40th among all the exporting markets of the US.
Over the years, textiles and garments have topped the list of Vietnamese export commodities to the US with a total value of US$8.6 billion in 2013, accounting for 48% of the country’s total export turnover.
Mobile phone handsets and components exports to the US saw high growth in 2013, a fivefold increase compared to 2012’s figure.
Other commodities including wood and wooden products, seafood, footwear also contributed significantly to the total export value from Vietnam to the US.
Meanwhile, Vietnam mainly imports machinery and spare parts, computers, electronics and components, cotton, plastics, and soybean from the US.
- Vietnam considers reopening to foreign tourists in new normalcy
- Will Vietnamese e-commerce platforms Tiki and Sendo soon merge?
- Promoting Vietnam as a safe place to welcome foreign tourists
- Vietnam turns to India, Nepal to diversify trade markets
- Vietnam President seeks parliament approval for EVFTA
- Vietnam to study health standard validation before reopening to foreign tourists
- Vietnam prepares to welcome foreign tourists once borders reopened
- Decisive reforms needed for Vietnam to realize full benefits of EVFTA: WB
- Vietnam targets 55% of population shopping online by 2025
- Vietnam to hold video conference promoting footwear trade with 60 US firms
Vietnam repatriates citizens from Netherlands, France, Japan
May 25: Vietnam reports one fresh coronavirus case, totaling 326
Japanese firm alleged to bribe Vietnam tax officials with US$232,000
Hanoi to allow advertising rights in exchange for 600 bus stop shelters
Scorching heat strikes Hanoi with temperature surging to 40 degrees Celsius
Hanoi to build sewage collection system to revive its dying river
More monetary easing measures still to come in Vietnam: Fitch
Iconic lakes in Hanoi
Vietnam’s Northwest terraced paddy fields in snapshots