Vietnam win gold medal for 1st time at SEA Games
The Hanoitimes - The Golden Dragons record a comfortable win 3-0 over Indonesia in the final on December 10.
Vietnam has for the first time won the gold medal at the men’s football at SEA Games after years participating in this regional multi-sport event.
|Vietnam wins the gold medal for 1st time at SEA Games. Photo: VietNamNet|
The Golden Dragons defeated Indonesia 3-0 in the final Rizal Memorial Stadium in Manila, the Philippines on Tuesday [December 10].
Vietnam ended that unwanted record at SEA Games 30 after losing five SEA Games football finals in 1995, 1999, 2003, 2005, and 2009, according to the Straitstimes.
|Defender Doan Van Hau. Photo: Thethao247|
Star Doan Van Hau, who plays as defender for Dutch top division side SC Heerenveen, scored Indonesian net after 39 minutes, opening up the scoring over the rivals.
Do Hung Dung then buried his shot from the edge of the box. He calmly guided a low shot into the bottom corner in the 59th minute, doubling his team’s tally.
|Midfielder Do Hung Dung. Photo: VNExpress|
At the 73th minute, Doan Van Hau scored his second from a wide free kick from Nguyen Hoang Duc, deciding 3-0 for the Golden Dragons.
Both teams had met in the earlier group stage with Vietnam winning that match by 2-1.
Editor of FOX Sport Asia Gabriel Tan described that “Despite their best efforts, Indonesia always faced an uphill task in getting back into the contest.”
Doan Van Hau’s SC Heerenveen Club continued updating the final on its Facebook page, delivering congratulations in Vietnamese language. The club called Hau a big player in the match.
Currently, Vietnam rank 94th in the FIFA world rankings.
- Vietnam moves up 3 places in Bloomberg’s top 60 innovative economies
- Vietnam PM seeks solutions to “getting old before getting rich”
- Vietnam, Cambodia sign agreement against transnational crimes
- ASEAN foreign ministers express concerns about South China Sea developments
- State firms warned of losing on home ground without boosting investment
- US senators congratulate Vietnam on assuming ASEAN Chair
- Vietnam would struggle to reach GDP target in 2020: Expert
- Hanoi police probe 22 protesters in Dong Tam deadly riot
- Vietnam sets 5 priorities during its ASEAN Chairmanship
- Security Council adopts statement urging member states to comply with UN Charter
What to know about Tet holiday in Vietnam?
Life gets back to normal in Dong Tam after deadly clash
Hanoi streets decorated stunningly for Lunar New Year festival 2020
Vietnam PM approves national strategy for financial inclusion until 2025
Five Tet theme picture-taking hotspots in Hanoi
Debt maturity in 2020 – 2021 to put pressure on Vietnam’s state budget
Bidding farewell to the Kitchen Gods, Vietnamese people offer them red carps
Vietnam targets to have 100,000 digital firms by 2030
Archbishop of Hanoi extends Tet greetings to municipal government