Vietnam win gold medal for 1st time at SEA Games
The Hanoitimes - The Golden Dragons record a comfortable win 3-0 over Indonesia in the final on December 10.
Vietnam has for the first time won the gold medal at the men’s football at SEA Games after years participating in this regional multi-sport event.
|Vietnam wins the gold medal for 1st time at SEA Games. Photo: VietNamNet|
The Golden Dragons defeated Indonesia 3-0 in the final Rizal Memorial Stadium in Manila, the Philippines on Tuesday [December 10].
Vietnam ended that unwanted record at SEA Games 30 after losing five SEA Games football finals in 1995, 1999, 2003, 2005, and 2009, according to the Straitstimes.
|Defender Doan Van Hau. Photo: Thethao247|
Star Doan Van Hau, who plays as defender for Dutch top division side SC Heerenveen, scored Indonesian net after 39 minutes, opening up the scoring over the rivals.
Do Hung Dung then buried his shot from the edge of the box. He calmly guided a low shot into the bottom corner in the 59th minute, doubling his team’s tally.
|Midfielder Do Hung Dung. Photo: VNExpress|
At the 73th minute, Doan Van Hau scored his second from a wide free kick from Nguyen Hoang Duc, deciding 3-0 for the Golden Dragons.
Both teams had met in the earlier group stage with Vietnam winning that match by 2-1.
Editor of FOX Sport Asia Gabriel Tan described that “Despite their best efforts, Indonesia always faced an uphill task in getting back into the contest.”
Doan Van Hau’s SC Heerenveen Club continued updating the final on its Facebook page, delivering congratulations in Vietnamese language. The club called Hau a big player in the match.
Currently, Vietnam rank 94th in the FIFA world rankings.
- Smart city building helps improve national competitiveness: Vietnam PM
- Vietnam to receive US$51.5 million for efforts against carbon emissions and deforestation
- Vietnam coastline increasingly exposed to natural disasters: WB
- Vietnam and Japan agree on entry protocol for short term visits
- HSBC joins hands with WWF-Vietnam in mangrove forest restoration project
- Vietnam Communist Party seeks public opinions for draft Congress political report
- Vietnam’s National Assembly convenes semi-annual meeting
- Vietnam ranks higher in Asian Power Index 2020
- Vietnam plays vital role in Japan’s Indo-Pacific policy: PM Suga
- Vietnam closely watches US presidential election: Spokesperson
Vietnam PM dismisses deliberate devaluation of currency
Vietnam braces for new strong storm Molave
Hanoi Party chief requests urgent solution of garbage crisis
Vietnam’s packaged food enjoys double-digit growth in post Covid-19: Kantar
Hanoi completes traffic infrastructure to develop satellite urban areas: Official
Close-up of first train of Hanoi’s second metro line put on rails
Apple partner Pegatron mulls US$1-billion investment in hi-tech projects in Vietnam
Hanoi’s weekend pedestrian streets allowed to reopen from September 18
European investors propose US$1 billion logistics project in Vietnam