Vietnam win gold medal for 1st time at SEA Games
The Hanoitimes - The Golden Dragons record a comfortable win 3-0 over Indonesia in the final on December 10.
Vietnam has for the first time won the gold medal at the men’s football at SEA Games after years participating in this regional multi-sport event.
|Vietnam wins the gold medal for 1st time at SEA Games. Photo: VietNamNet|
The Golden Dragons defeated Indonesia 3-0 in the final Rizal Memorial Stadium in Manila, the Philippines on Tuesday [December 10].
Vietnam ended that unwanted record at SEA Games 30 after losing five SEA Games football finals in 1995, 1999, 2003, 2005, and 2009, according to the Straitstimes.
|Defender Doan Van Hau. Photo: Thethao247|
Star Doan Van Hau, who plays as defender for Dutch top division side SC Heerenveen, scored Indonesian net after 39 minutes, opening up the scoring over the rivals.
Do Hung Dung then buried his shot from the edge of the box. He calmly guided a low shot into the bottom corner in the 59th minute, doubling his team’s tally.
|Midfielder Do Hung Dung. Photo: VNExpress|
At the 73th minute, Doan Van Hau scored his second from a wide free kick from Nguyen Hoang Duc, deciding 3-0 for the Golden Dragons.
Both teams had met in the earlier group stage with Vietnam winning that match by 2-1.
Editor of FOX Sport Asia Gabriel Tan described that “Despite their best efforts, Indonesia always faced an uphill task in getting back into the contest.”
Doan Van Hau’s SC Heerenveen Club continued updating the final on its Facebook page, delivering congratulations in Vietnamese language. The club called Hau a big player in the match.
Currently, Vietnam rank 94th in the FIFA world rankings.
- August 9: Vietnam reports 2 new Covid-19 cases, including 1 in Hanoi
- Cuba donates antiviral drug to help Vietnam cure Covid-19 patients
- Vietnam identifies testing as key solution to prevent Covid-19 spread
- Aggressive actions needed to defeat Covid-19 next 10 days: Vietnam PM
- Vietnam former Party chief passes away
- Vietnam committed to building united and resilient ASEAN Community: FM
- Hanoi hospitals’ support pours in Danang - fresh Covid-19 epicenter
- Vietnam: One more Covid-19 patient dies, death toll reaches 10
- Ninth Covid-19 death confirmed in Vietnam
- Now is golden time for Vietnam to stamp out Covid-19: Experts
Ministry of Health supports Hanoi in rRT-PCR testing
August 9: Vietnam confirms 31 new coronavirus cases, 1 death
Hanoi among leading localities having users of contact tracing app Bluezone
Hanoi mayor requests 'absolute safety' for national high school exams amid Covid-19 outbreak
Vietnam stock market needs upgrading to emerging status soon: PM
ASEAN Summit in Hanoi expected to boost intra-regional economic links
Hanoi works closely with ADB to ensure progress of urban infrastructure projects
Vietnam Airlines retakes Jetstar Pacific from Qantas
Hanoi strives to ensure safe and stable investment environment for investors