Number of Vietnamese higher education students in US grows for 18th straight year
The Hanoitimes - Vietnamese students contribute nearly US$1 billion to the US economy.
The report for the 2018-2019 academic year (AY) shows that Vietnam remains the sixth leading country of origin for all international higher education students in the US, with 24,392 students studying at US institutes of higher education, a 0.3% increase from AY 2017-2018. Vietnamese students contribute nearly US$1 billion to the US economy.
Of the 24,392 Vietnamese higher education students in the US, 69.9% were undergraduates, 15.2% were graduate level students, 10.2% enrolled in Optional Practical Training (OPT), and the remaining 4.6% were pursuing non-degree programs.
The data also revealed that Vietnam is becoming a more popular destination for American students. The number of American students studying abroad in Vietnam increased 7.1%, from 1,147 in AY 2016-17 to 1,228 in AY 2017-18.
According to the report, 1.1 million international students were studying at US higher education institutes during AY 2018-2019, a 0.05% increase over AY 2017-2018.
The US remains the top host of international higher education students globally with 21% of the total, double the number of students as the next closest competitor.
On the eve of the 25th Anniversary of US-Vietnam diplomatic relations, the Open Doors data is demonstrable proof that education remains a cornerstone of the bilateral relationship.
With a total of approximately 30,000 Vietnamese students pursuing studies at all levels in the US, the US Mission to Vietnam will continue to promote opportunities for Vietnamese students to study in the US through its EducationUSA services, American Centers in Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City, and American Hangouts in Can Tho and An Giang.
- Vietnam may operate repatriation flights for Vietnamese students in US
- Vietnam’s new school year to begin on September 5 as usual
- Fulbright University Vietnam receives USAID grant worth US$4.65 million
- A Hanoi university listed in QS world university rankings
- Hanoi: Int'l schools prioritize students' well-being in Covid-19 fight
- Three Vietnamese universities find place in Asia's top 500
- First Vietnamese professor wins European Mathematical prize
- No need for students to wear anti-drop masks: Hanoi mayor
- Hanoi mayor requires strict compliance of Covid-19 prevention protocol at school
- Vietnamese student wins Global Citizenship Student Award 2020
With Hoa Lac High-tech Park, Hanoi aims to be a sci-tech hub
Vietnam may operate repatriation flights for Vietnamese students in US
Vietnamese people to travel confidently domestically: Google
Former President Clinton ‘grateful’ for 25 years of Vietnam-US partnership
ASEAN Summit in Hanoi expected to boost intra-regional economic links
Hanoi works closely with ADB to ensure progress of urban infrastructure projects
Vietnam Airlines retakes Jetstar Pacific from Qantas
Hanoi strives to ensure safe and stable investment environment for investors
Removal of permanent residency requirement to pressurize Hanoi's budget