Vietnamese student wins Global Citizenship Student Award 2020
The Hanoitimes - The award is presented to students who best demonstrates a commitment to the ideals and practice of high academic performance, internationalism, multiculturalism, and civic engagement.
Phuong Nguyen, along with Nahla Almbaid from Palestine and Ikran Sheik-Mursal from the US, is honored with the Global Citizenship Student Award (GCSA) 2020 by Minnesota-based Macalester College and the Kofi Annan Institute for Global Citizenship (IGC), stated the college in a statement.
|Phuong Nguyen, a graduating senior at Macalester College. Source: Macalester.|
The GCSA is presented every April by Macalester College and the IGC to the graduating seniors who best demonstrate a commitment to the ideals and practice of high academic performance, internationalism, multiculturalism, and civic engagement.
Phuong is currently a biology and environmental studies major with a passion for conservation ecology at Macalester College. Over the course of her time at the college, she worked with several conservation and research programs in Minnesota, Vietnam, and South Africa, and was involved with Macalester’s Vietnamese Cultural Organization (VCO).
During an online speech, Phuong said a highlight of that experience was interning with Urban Roots MN, an organization dedicated to empowering young people through “nature, healthy foods, and community.” As a conservation intern, Phuong helped educate students from around the Twin Cities, a consortium of five liberal arts colleges in Saint Paul and Minneapolis, on the importance of preserving and protecting the natural world.
After graduation, Phuong will be moving back to Vietnam to work as a researcher for the Center for Biodiversity Conservation and Endangered Species.
- Vietnam’s new school year to begin on September 5 as usual
- Fulbright University Vietnam receives USAID grant worth US$4.65 million
- A Hanoi university listed in QS world university rankings
- Hanoi: Int'l schools prioritize students' well-being in Covid-19 fight
- Three Vietnamese universities find place in Asia's top 500
- First Vietnamese professor wins European Mathematical prize
- No need for students to wear anti-drop masks: Hanoi mayor
- Hanoi mayor requires strict compliance of Covid-19 prevention protocol at school
- Vietnamese student wins Global Citizenship Student Award 2020
- Vietnam to hold national exam as Covid-19 is contained
Vietnam protests China's military exercises in South China Sea
Seismic surveys in Vietnam EEZ must be authorized by Hanoi: Spokesperson
Hanoi – safe investment destination post Covid-19
Hanoi committed to supporting businesses to overcome Covid-19 crisis: Mayor
ASEAN Summit in Hanoi expected to boost intra-regional economic links
Hanoi works closely with ADB to ensure progress of urban infrastructure projects
Vietnam Airlines retakes Jetstar Pacific from Qantas
Hanoi strives to ensure safe and stable investment environment for investors
Removal of permanent residency requirement to pressurize Hanoi's budget