Google Doodle celebrates Vietnamese folk opera
Google has changed its logo to the image of cai luong folk opera performance.
Google Doodle today [September 28] celebrates cai luong, a style of modern folk opera in Vietnam's Mekong Delta, in observance of Vietnam Stage Day, an annual celebration of Vietnam's rich theatrical history.
|Google's logo is the image of cai luong folk opera performance.|
A blend of traditional and contemporary influences, the cai luong combines singing with spoken drama to create a vibrant expression of Vietnamese culture and identity.
Literally translated as “reformed theater,” the form evolved from the royal singing called hat boi at the turn of the 20th century. On the background music played by an orchestra containing traditional Vietnamese instruments like the dan tranh or “six-string zither”, cai luong brings to life a wide range of stories, from ancient legends of monarchs and warriors to explorations of modern Vietnamese social themes.
While the subject material may vary, one common element is the signature melancholic song structure called vong co, or “nostalgia for the past.”
One of the most iconic folk opera productions is Tieng Trong Me Linh, or “The Drum Sound of Me Linh”. The historical play tells the story of Trung Trac and Trung Nhi, two sisters who led the fight for Vietnamese independence from the Chinese Han Dynasty in the 1st century. A classic of the artform, “Tieng Trong Me Linh” has been staged by many of Vietnam’s top folk opera performers since it firstly debuted in 1977.
Over a century after its birth, cai luong is still enjoyed today as one of the uniquely Vietnamese art-forms and a vital link to the country’s history.
- Young Hanoian keeps traditional craft of bookbinding alive
- “Memory of ancient markets” exhibition reenacts ancient Hanoi
- Chefs united for better cuisine of Hanoi
- “The Bat Trang Ceramic Boots -An Inspiration from Italy” exhibition debuts
- The 5th Hanoi Art Connecting debuts
- Young Vietnamese painter holds exhibition in London
- Contemporary Hang Trong folk painting exhibition lures visitors to Hanoi
- Exhibition “The Oriental Tale” showcases excellent Vietnamese and Japanese interaction
- Art exhibition to honor Vietnamese women, the country and love
- 2022 Heritage Photographic Contest: “Ninh Thuan - The Land of the Heritage” opens calls
SEA Games 31: Vietnam crowned men’s football champion
SEA Games 31: Vietnam defend women’s football champions
Where to go and what to do in Hanoi for locals and tourists?
Hanoi wants to build second int’l airport in Thuong Tin
Hanoi handicrafts attract international SEA Games 31 guests
Exhibitions mark President Ho Chi Minh’s 132nd birthday anniversary
The Vietnam-US comprehensive partnership facilitates investment activities: PM
FPT opens new office in New York, 10th in US
Vietnam’s e-commerce: driver for economic recovery in post-Covid-19