Over 39% of Vietnam population lives in urban areas
The Hanoitimes - According to a report of the Ministry of Construction, in the first half of 2020, Vietnam's rate of urbanization increased by 0.5% year-on-year.
Vietnam currently has 833 urban administrative units of all kinds, housing 39.3% of its population, up 0.5 percentage points from a year ago, much higher than an urbanization rate of 20% recorded in 2009, Kinh te & Do thi reported, quoting a report by the Ministry of Construction.
|The rate of urbanization in Vietnam now reaches 39.3%. Photo: Kinhtedothi.vn|
Up to 89% of the urban population has access to tap water as of end-June, up two percentage points from a year earlier. In addition, 86.5% of solid household waste is collected.
Fast urbanization has resulted in postive growth of the real estate and building materials market and causes needs for housing to increase. There is a shortage of affordable housing supply to meet these demands.
The ministry informed that house prices continue to rise, by 1.02% in Hanoi for the apartment sector and by 3.82% for landed houses. In Ho Chi Minh City, the rates are 3.5% and 8.36%, respectively.
Minister of Construction Pham Hong Ha said that in the second half of 2020, his ministry will continue to monitor the socio-economic situation to timely remove the difficulties for real estate developers.
The Ministry of Construction will keep rolling out a project of sustainable smart city development in Vietnam in the period of 2018 – 2025, with orientations to 2030. It will try its best to successfully organize a high-level forum on developing smart cities and an annual meeting on ASEAN Smart Urban Network in 2020.
- Vietnam uses locally-made test kits for incoming guests
- Mooncake dealers in Vietnam offer discounts on Covid-caused bleak sales
- Cold spell continues to hit Hanoi and northern Vietnam
- What Vietnamese parents think when their children are diagnosed with autism?
- Northern Vietnam to face downpours and cold air later this month
- Hanoi plans to subsidize replacement of obsolete motorbikes
- US plans to launch US$5-million YSEALI Academy in Vietnam
- UNDP donates more robots to help protect Vietnam’s frontline health workers against Covid-19
- Vietnam takes tougher move to protect environment
- Man pleads guilty to deaths of 39 Vietnamese immigrants
Actual FDI in Vietnam down 3.2% to US$13.76 billion in Jan-Sept
Vietnam ranks fourth on Agoda 2020 travel wishlist
Telehealth in Vietnam connects over 1,000 health centers
Vietnam receives first int'l commercial flight after six months
Apple partner Pegatron mulls US$1-billion investment in hi-tech projects in Vietnam
Hanoi’s weekend pedestrian streets allowed to reopen from September 18
European investors propose US$1 billion logistics project in Vietnam
Vietnam says ASEAN doesn’t want to get trapped between competition of major powers
Vietnam launches advisory message to prevent Covid-19 spread