Vietnam car imports surge over 85% in August
The Hanoitimes - This marked the rise in number of imported cars to Vietnam in two consecutive months, following a 34% increase in July.
In August, Vietnam imported 8,800 cars worth US$202 million, up 85.6% month-on-month in volume and 87.1% in value, according to the General Department of Vietnam Customs (GDVC).
|Data: GDVC. Chart: Ngoc Thuy.|
This marked the second intermonthly rise in a row in number of imported cars to Vietnam, following a 34% increase in July.
Overall, 53,800 cars were imported to Vietnam during the eight-month period for US$923 million, down 43.4% year-on-year in volume and 43% in value.
Upon breaking down, the country imported 39,600 passenger cars, or cars with less than nine seats, accounting for 74% of total cars imported and 44% less than the figure recorded in the same period of last year.
According to the GDVC, 83% of imported cars in Vietnam in the January-August period came from Thailand and Indonesia, with the corresponding numbers of 24,700 and 20,300, down 56% and 28% year-on-year, respectively.
Data from the Vietnam Automobile Manufacturers Association (VAMA) revealed the number of cars sold in Vietnam decreased by 14% month-on-month and 4% year-on-year to 20,655 units in August, the first decline in car sales number in four months.
In the first eight months of 2020, car sales in Vietnam dropped 25% year-on-year to 151,903 units across all segments.
Sales of domestically assembled cars reached 96,473 units during the period, down 19% compared to the same period of last year, while imported completely-built-units (CBUs) totaled 55,430 units (-33%).
- Vietnam e-commerce market may lose US$2.6 billion on Covid-19
- Vietnam: Lessons drawn from first gov’t Covid-19 relief package
- Vietnam economic recovery firms up in September: WB
- Vietnam to host week for promotion of Made-in-Vietnam goods
- Trade probes against Vietnam exports double in 9 months
- Car sales in Vietnam bounce back in September
- Harada seeks partners to distribute plant-based meat in Vietnam
- Vietnam trade turnover hits nearly US$389 billion in Jan-Sept
- Passenger flow at Hanoi airport surges as domestic tourism recovers
- Vietnam, US businesses look for opportunities in post-Covid-19 period
Hanoi real estate market to heat up by end-2020
Japan PM Suga makes surprise visit to Hoan Kiem lake
Historic flooding in central Vietnam: 102 dead and 26 missing
Close-up of first train of Hanoi’s second metro line put on rails
Apple partner Pegatron mulls US$1-billion investment in hi-tech projects in Vietnam
Hanoi’s weekend pedestrian streets allowed to reopen from September 18
European investors propose US$1 billion logistics project in Vietnam
Vietnam says ASEAN doesn’t want to get trapped between competition of major powers
Vietnam launches advisory message to prevent Covid-19 spread