Vietnam economy likely second fastest-growing in Asia-Pacific: S&P Global Ratings
The Hanoitimes - Vietnam's 2021 growth is forecast at 11.2%, the highest in the Asia-Pacific region.
Vietnam will likely be the second fast-growing economy in Asia-Pacific this year, only behind China, as the Southeast Asian country has emerged as a bright star in containing the Covid-19 pandemic, S&P Global Ratings has forecast in its recent report.
S&P Global Ratings has revised up Vietnam’s GDP growth to 1.9% this year from 1.2% previously. “The economy is well-positioned to enjoy some lift from improving global trade, especially electronics. Tourism will remain largely absent for the foreseeable future, but domestic mobility is normalizing faster than most other parts of the world.”
Overall, Vietnam is expected to be one of the leaders of the post-Covid recovery, able to close its output gap by 2022. Its 2021 growth is forecast at 11.2%, the highest in the Asia-Pacific region.
S&P Global Ratings also revised inflation forecasts higher, up to 2.5% in 2020 from 1.8% previously, in part due to moderately stronger-than-expected domestic demand.
The US-based agency anticipated the country’s monetary policy will remain broadly unchanged. The Vietnamese central bank has brought the dong back to around last year's levels, having only allowed a short period of depreciation at the peak of the crisis, it said.
S&P Global Ratings noted that the key domestic risk remains another Covid-19 wave although authorities have shown their ability to quickly contain outbreaks.
Asia-Pacific is projected to shrink by 2% in 2020 and rebound by about 7% next year. China, where the coronavirus broke out, will likely see its economy grow 2.1% this year, the fastest pace in the region.
- Vietnam customs steps up fight against origin frauds in trade
- Vietnam business community helps ensure success in Covid-19 fight
- Hanoi-HCM City ranks second among the world's busiest domestic air routes
- Vietnam stands ready for competition from RCEP
- Vietnam calls for US investments in energy, industry and infrastructure
- Vietnamese firms to invest in 3 key aspects for digital transformation
- Vietnam flower and gift market heats up ahead of Teachers’ Day
- Vietnam ready to take more active role in Asia–Pacific amid RCEP signing: PwC
- Vietnam firms warned of growing trade probes
- Vietnam trade surplus hits US$19.5 billion in Jan-Oct
Logistics firms in Hanoi only meet 25% of demand: City Party chief
Hoan Kiem lake, fantastic place in the heart of Hanoi
European businesses see Q4 investment more promising in Vietnam
How Vietnam weathers global health crisis and rises?
Hanoi completes traffic infrastructure to develop satellite urban areas: Official
Close-up of first train of Hanoi’s second metro line put on rails
Apple partner Pegatron mulls US$1-billion investment in hi-tech projects in Vietnam
Hanoi’s weekend pedestrian streets allowed to reopen from September 18
European investors propose US$1 billion logistics project in Vietnam