Vietnam imports over 53,000 live pigs since early 2021
The Hanoitimes - The total number of pig herds in Vietnam is estimated at 27.3 million as of present, up 20% against early 2020 and equivalent to 87% of the pig herd before the outbreak of the African Swine Fever.
Since January 1, 2021, Vietnam has imported more than 53,000 live pigs and 600 tons of pork to meet growing demand in the local market.
|Imported porks at Big C super markets. Photo: Nguyen Dung|
Deputy Director of the Livestock Breeding General Department under the Ministry of Agricultural and Rural Development Nguyen Van Trong made the statement in a meeting on January 14.
In 2020, 130 local companies imported nearly 225,500 tons of pork, mainly from Russia, Poland, Canada, US and Germany, as well as 450,294 live pigs, to address a shortage of pork supply due to the African Swine Fever, said Mr. Trong.
According to Mr. Trong, Vietnam also imported 43,322 piglets in 2020 and other 1,360 since early 2021, which helps accelerate the repopulation of pig herd.
“Imported live pigs are required to meet animal health standards of the World Organization for Animal Health (OIE),” stated Mr. Trong, saying all pigs are quarantined right after being imported to Vietnam before sending to slaughter house.
“So far, there have not been any issues related to live pig imports,” he added.
While the pork prices in the local market was on the decline in the last third and fourth quarter of 2020, but rose again in recent days, Mr. Trong noted this is a normal situation due to high consumption demand ahead of the upcoming Tet holiday.
Mr. Trong, meanwhile, ruled out a surge in pork price in the coming time given a stable pork supply.
The total number of pig herds in Vietnam is estimated at 27.3 million as of present, up 20% against early 2020 and equivalent to 87% of the pig herd before the outbreak of the African Swine Fever.
- Local investors open third highest number of securities accounts in February
- Vietnam GDP growth projected to strengthen to 6.5% in 2021: IMF
- Securities association expresses concern over prospect of 1,000 shares minimum trading lot
- Big C retail brand in Vietnam renamed into GO! and Tops Market
- ASEAN economic ministers endorse 10 priority economic deliverables
- Vietnam to realize 6.5% growth target: PM
- Central bank expected to grant gold import license
- Vietnam posts trade surplus of US$1.3 billion in 2-month period
- Vietnam named in Agility’s top 10 Emerging Markets Logistics Index 2021
- Vietnam Maritime Administration sets up task force to inspect container shipping rates
Vietnam Ao dai Week 2021 has been strongly responded
Vietnam begins Covid-19 vaccination today
Domestic tourism stimulation: March promotions launched
PM expects more Vietnamese multinationals to emerge by 2045
Vietnam eyes potential of homemade Covid-19 vaccine
Securities association expresses concern over prospect of 1,000 shares minimum trading lot
Vietnam repatriates citizens from Myanmar
Online schooling - a challenge for students and teachers
Vietnam Airlines attendant prosecuted for spreading Covid-19