Vietnam negotiates new markets for local farm produce
During the first four months of 2022, total exports of Vietnam’s farm produce rose by 15.6% year-on-year to nearly US$18 billion.
The Ministry of Agricultural and Rural Development (MARD) is looking at potential markets for Vietnam’s farm produce, as these export categories have fast become a key factor to support economic recovery.
|Vietnam's agricultural exports hit US$18 billion in the four months. Photo: The Hanoi Times|
In May, the MARD is scheduled to hold trade promotion activities for Vietnamese fruits and seafood in China, which is part of the national trade facilitation program.
In addition, the ministry is in the process of negotiating for the export of rambutan, lemon, and grapefruit to New Zealand, along with drafting a trade promotion program for Vietnam’s agricultural products to penetrate markets in the EU, US, China, and Japan.
During the first four months of 2022, total exports of Vietnam’s farm produce rose by 15.6% year-on-year to nearly US$18 billion, earning a trade surplus of $4 billion.
Farm produce continued to make up a large share of the total revenue with over $7.4 billion, up 10.5%, followed by forestry with $5.9 billion, up 4.9%; and seafood with $3.6 billion, up 43.7%.
The MARD noted five groups of agricultural products having an export turnover of over $1 billion, including coffee, rice, vegetable, shrimp, and wooden products.
Meanwhile, the Asian market remained the largest destination for Vietnam’s farm produces with 41% of the total. America came second with 29.7%, and Europe in third with 12.8%.
The US was the largest buyer of Vietnamese products with nearly $4.9 billion, or 27.3%, followed by China with $3.2 billion.
- Hanoi promotes consumption of agricultural products on e-commerce sites
- Hanoi encourages businesses to develop processing industry
- Mangrove afforestation in Mekong Delta: Indispensable for climate response in Vietnam
- IFAD supports Vietnam’s climate response in agriculture
- France helps boost coffee yields in Vietnam
- Vietnam’s agro-forestry-fishery exports exceed US$13 billion in 5-month
- Hanoi promotes application of hi-tech farming models
- Vietnam envisions low-carbon agricultural sector
- Vietnam seeks sustainable partnership with US in agricultural production
- Vietnam negotiates new markets for local farm produce
Vietnam to draft national action plan for circular economy adaptation
Hanoi welcomes over 8.6 million visitors in first half of 2022
Media outlets and businesses form strong bond in difficult times: Experts
Australian Foreign Minister enjoys Pho ga in Hanoi
Hanoi GRDP growth hits 7.79% in first half
Hanoi selects final design of Tran Hung Dao Bridge
Fiercer storms forecast to hit Vietnam towards year-end
Bun cha listed in the British Queen's Platinum Jubilee Cookbook
Hanoi seeks UNESCO’s support in culture, education and tourism