Vietnam ODA disbursement meets 32% of targets in 9 months
The Hanoitimes - Quicker disbursement of ODA funds shows the government’s responsibility and capability in utilizing funds in the eyes of investors and donors.
The disbursed amount of official development assistance (ODA) funds in Vietnam in the first nine months of 2020 stood at only VND26 trillion (US$1.12 billion), equivalent to 32.43% of the year’s estimate, requiring drastic measures to realize the government’s target.
|Overview of the meeting. Source: VGP.|
The information was mentioned at an online conference on October 14 discussing the disbursement progress of ODA funds in the January – September period.
At the meeting, representative of the Ministry of Finance said the projects financed by ODA funds face much more severe impacts from the Covid-19 pandemic than domestic ones.
This came by the fact that contractors were unable to mobilize experts, machinery and equipment from abroad.
Moreover, changes in ODA policies, slow site clearance process, contractors’ limited capacity, disputes between project owners and contractors, are among notable issues preventing a faster ODA funds disbursement.
General Director of the Debt Management and External Finance Department under the Ministry of Finance Truong Hung Long said with current disbursement rate, the target of disbursing the remaining VND40 trillion (US$1.72 billion) in ODA funds for the rest months of the year remains a huge challenge.
However, as public investment is a key measure to boost economic growth during the Covid-19 pandemic, a faster disbursement progress of public funds, including ODA, is a must, stated Mr. Long, adding this proves the Vietnamese government’s responsibility and capability in utilizing funds in the eyes of investors and donors.
In late August, Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc warned officials would face disciplinary actions if their ministries and localities fail to realize their respective disbursement targets of public investment funds for this year.
The government targets to disburse the full amount of VND630 trillion (US$27.26 billion) to aid economic recovery, and the progress as of September stood at 57.15% of the target.
- Vietnam accelerates implementation of four major ODA transportation projects
- Runway upgrade at Vietnam's 2 busiest airports must be finished before year-end
- Hanoi expected to realize disbursement target of ODA funds in 2020
- Vietnam to finalize legal framework for smart city model
- Vietnam ODA disbursement meets 32% of targets in 9 months
- Disbursement of Vietnam public funds meets 57% of target in Jan-Sept
- Vietnam starts building 3 national expressway sub-projects worth US$1.6 billion
- Drastic measures needed to realize disbursement target of public funds
- Vietnam PM seeks ADB cooperation in disbursing US$900 million in 2020
- Vietnam PM warns of punishment for sluggish public investment
Vietnam to allow citizens to use sparklers as Tet approaches
Hanoi to ban motorcycles by 2030
Hanoi to host golf festival 2020
Vietnam wins at World Travel Awards 2020
Vietnam expects to massively produce own Covid-19 vaccine by mid-2022: Expert
Hanoi completes traffic infrastructure to develop satellite urban areas: Official
Close-up of first train of Hanoi’s second metro line put on rails
Apple partner Pegatron mulls US$1-billion investment in hi-tech projects in Vietnam
Hanoi’s weekend pedestrian streets allowed to reopen from September 18