Vietnam Politburo to review progress of US$59-billion North-South express railway
The Hanoitimes - Once completed, the high-speed railway would help reduce travel time from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City to around five hours and 20 minutes.
Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc has tasked the Ministry of Transport (MoT) with reporting the progress of the preparation process for the North-South express railway project with an estimated investment of VND1,350 trillion (US$58.7 billion) to the Politburo, the country’s supreme decision-making body.
|The express railway project in Vietnam is estimated to cost US$58.7 billion.|
The MoT in its pre-feasibility study report for the project proposed the upgrade of the existing railway tracks for freight and the construction of a new North-South railway route for passenger transportation from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City. The railway is expected to allow speed of 350 kilometers per hour.
With an investment of VND567.2 trillion (US$24.47 billion), the first phase of the project, scheduled to be implemented in 2020 – 2032, would be to upgrade the railway transportation infrastructure along the routes Hanoi – Vinh and Nha Trang – Ho Chi Minh City.
The second phase from 2032 – 2050 would focus on the construction of the remaining sections, costing an estimated VND783.1 trillion (US$33.79 billion).
Once completed, the high-speed railway would help reduce travel time from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City to around five hours and 20 minutes.
At present, the MoT’s pre-feasibility study report is under the review process of the State Appraisal Council for Investment Projects.
In 2018, the ministry revived the North-South express railway project after it was rejected by the National Assembly in 2010 due to its huge estimated investment, at that time estimated at US$56 billion, more than half of Vietnam’s GDP then.
- LG Electronics intends to sell off smartphone business to Vietnam's Vingroup
- Foxconn to make Macbook, Ipad in Vietnam
- Singapore’s investors seek investment opportunities in startups in Vietnam
- State-owned firms urged to preserve State capital in pandemic context
- Vietnam’s first hospital lists shares on HoSE
- Vietnam starts construction of My Thuan – Can Tho expressway
- Actual FDI in Vietnam down 2% to US$20 billion in 2020
- Business formations in Vietnam down 2.3% in 2020 amid Covid-19 pandemic
- Vietnam, Japan in favourable conditions to further investment, trade relations: Amb.
- Vietnam targets to have 5,000 kilometers of expressway by 2030
13th National Party Congress opens today
Vietnam steel export in 2021 set to grow further
RCEP reminds the world of Vietnam’s bright future
What do foreign media cover Vietnam’s top political meeting?
F0 investors learn hard lesson from stock market volatility
Vietnam, Australia to strengthen ties to strategic partnership by 2023
US intensifies efforts in addressing war legacies
Member states attend forum preparing for 2021 Shangri-La Dialogue
Int’l. media impressed with Vietnam economic successes amid pandemic