Vietnam Rubber Group fears nCoV may erode demand from biggest buyer China
The Hanoitimes - The company is concerned that demand from China, which accounts for half of the group’s shipments of latex, will fall.
Vietnam’s top rubber producer Vietnam Rubber Group (VRG) is actively pursuing buyers outside of China on fears that the coronavirus will erode demand from its biggest customer, Bloomberg reported.
VRG, the world’s third-largest listed producer of rubber, is looking for new markets and is considering cutting export prices, a person familiar with this matter told Bloomberg, asking not to be identified as the matter is private. The company is concerned that demand from China, which accounts for half of the group’s shipments of latex, will fall, the person said.
The rubber industry has been roiled this week as the spread of the virus in China clouds the outlook for global growth and especially auto production and tire demand. More than a dozen Chinese provinces announced an extension of the current Lunar New Year holiday by more than a week, with carmakers from Toyota Motor Corp. to General Motors Co. saying production will be halted through at least February 9.
VRG shares slumped 4.4% in Hanoi on Friday, poised for a second day of decline after markets resumed trading following the Lunar New Year holiday.
The company exports about 70% of its rubber output. Most shipments to China are natural rubber, while rubber products account for a small portion.
About 70% of all Vietnamese rubber exports goes to China, according to Vietnam’s customs data.
- Vietnam aviation industry revived after social distancing orders removed
- Vietnam airports required to tighten Covid-19 prevention measures
- Hit by Covid-19, Vietnam enterprises turn to domestic market
- Vietnam considers reopening to foreign tourists in new normalcy
- Will Vietnamese e-commerce platforms Tiki and Sendo soon merge?
- Promoting Vietnam as a safe place to welcome foreign tourists
- Vietnam turns to India, Nepal to diversify trade markets
- Vietnam President seeks parliament approval for EVFTA
- Vietnam to study health standard validation before reopening to foreign tourists
- Vietnam prepares to welcome foreign tourists once borders reopened
Building e-government is urgent for Hanoi: Mayor
Vietnam transport ministry eyes resumption of international flights
Hanoi stands ready for new capital inflows from Japan: Party official
Vietnam okays e-visa for citizens of 80 countries from July 1
Scorching heat strikes Hanoi with temperature surging to 40 degrees Celsius
Hanoi to build sewage collection system to revive its dying river
More monetary easing measures still to come in Vietnam: Fitch
Iconic lakes in Hanoi
Vietnam’s Northwest terraced paddy fields in snapshots