Many localities in Vietnam close schools on fears of coronavirus
The Hanoitimes - Closing schools is one of tough measures that Vietnam has taken to deal with the epidemic that broke out in neighboring China in December 2019.
As of Sunday evening [February 2], many cities and provinces across Vietnam have announced the closure of schools for a week starting from February 3 on fears of the possible widespread outbreak of respiratory illness caused by the Wuhan coronavirus (nCoV).
|Closing schools to protect schoolchildren|
The localities include big cities namely Hanoi, Haiphong, Da Nang, Ho Chi Minh City, and Can Tho.
According to the Thanh Nien newspaper, 23 out of 63 cities and provinces in the country have announced school closure. More localities are expected to follow suit.
The decision was made two days after Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc declare the national epidemic of the nCoV.
Before the decision on closing schools, many localities have sterilized schools to curb the spread of the disease.
Closing schools is among measures that Vietnam has taken so far to cope with the epidemic after the country detected the first cases on January 23.
Some days ago, the government set up an epidemic prevention working group with members being senior officials, and 45 quick response teams at hospitals which are equipped with modern facilities and comprised of experienced doctors.
The country has stopped issuing visas to Chinese tourists and suspended a number of flights to and from China while enhancing monitoring at border gates.
Notably, the government has also set up the National Steering Committee on Epidemic Prevention and Control to control the nCoV spread.
- First Vietnamese professor wins European Mathematical prize
- No need for students to wear anti-drop masks: Hanoi mayor
- Hanoi mayor requires strict compliance of Covid-19 prevention protocol at school
- Vietnamese student wins Global Citizenship Student Award 2020
- Vietnam to hold national exam as Covid-19 is contained
- Hanoi removes fourth subject from high school exam due to Covid-19
- Vietnam students may return to schools by June 15
- Challenges of online classes during Covid-19 pandemic
- Vietnam education ministry trims curricula as schools stay shut
- Hanoi extends school break till April 5 on Covid-19
Building e-government is urgent for Hanoi: Mayor
May 27: Six more Vietnamese Covid-19 patients recover, 49 active cases left
Hanoi stands ready for new capital inflows from Japan: Party official
Predictable legal environment to help Vietnam attract FDI post Covid-19: NTT Data Vietnam CEO
Scorching heat strikes Hanoi with temperature surging to 40 degrees Celsius
Hanoi to build sewage collection system to revive its dying river
More monetary easing measures still to come in Vietnam: Fitch
Iconic lakes in Hanoi
Vietnam’s Northwest terraced paddy fields in snapshots