Vietnam September inflation slows to 5-year low at 0.12%
Core inflation comes at 2.59% year-on-year in the first nine months of 2020.
Vietnam's consumer price index (CPI), the main gauge of inflation, in September increased 0.12% against the previous month and 0.01% versus the end of 2019, both at the weakest levels in the 2016 – 2020 period, according to the General Statistics Office (GSO).
|Data: GSO. Chart: Ngoc Thuy.|
Six out of 11 commodity groups that are components of the basket for CPI calculation witnessed month-on-month price hikes. Among them, education posted the sharpest increase.
Meanwhile, the CPI in the third quarter grew by 0.92% against the previous quarter and 3.81% year-on-year.
Overall, the CPI in the first nine months of this year has increased by 3.85% year-on-year.
According to the GSO, core inflation in the nine-month period was 2.59%.
Domestic gold prices continued the growing trend due to global uncertainties caused by the Covid-19 pandemic, with a decrease in prices as a result of investors booking profits, a better-than-expected recovery of the US economy and an appreciation of the US dollar against other currencies.
In September, gold prices in Vietnam declined by 0.33% month-on-month but soared 32.37% against last December and 30.33% year-on-year.
- C.bank expects credit growth to exceed 12%-target for 2021
- Vingroup may raise US$2 billion from VinFast’s IPO in US
- State budget collection reaches US$17.52 billion in Q1
- Newly-listed firms on HoSE to temporary switch to HNX
- Vn-Index predicted to hit all-time high of 1,300 pts in April
- Inflation not a source of concern for Vietnam: SSI
- Vietnam stock market watchdog sets reference price for stocks switching to HNX
- Vietnam raises US$1.7 billion via government bonds in Q1
- Prospects for Vietnam’s capital market in new era
- Public firms key to help Vietnam stock market upgrade to emerging status
The old man guarding Hanoi's last ancient gate for 20 years
C.bank expects credit growth to exceed 12%-target for 2021
Vietnam officially approves online schooling
Vietnam warned of imported Covid-19 transmission amid rising regional cases
Hanoi team ranks 1st at National Archery Championships 2021
Vietnam moves up in int’l vaccine regulation ranking
Vietnam to cut research time of Covid-19 vaccines amid thin supply
Corporate bonds of real estate - risky commercial debt for investors
Six major tasks await newly-appointed Hanoi Party Chief