Vietnam trade surplus more than doubles in Jan-Aug
The Hanoitimes - The record US$13.5 billion trade surplus in the eight-month period far exceeded the unprecedented figure of US$11.12 billion last year.
In the first eight months of 2020, Vietnam’s trade surplus reached an all-time high of US$13.5 billion, representing a 150% increase compared to the same period of last year (US$5.47 billion), according to the General Department of Vietnam Customs (GDVC).
|Data: GDVC. Chart: Nguyen Tung.|
The figure also far exceeded the estimated US$11.9 billion from the General Statistics Office for the period and the unprecedented trade surplus of US$11.12 billion last year.
In August, Vietnam’s exports rose 11.4% month-on-month to US$27.7 billion, while imports increased 2.8% to US$22.7 billion.
Overall, between January and August, Vietnam’s total export value topped US$175.36 billion, up 2.3% year-on-year, and total import value was US$161.9 billion, down 2.4%.
Six groups of export staples with turnover above US$1 billion in August included phones and parts with US$5.35 billion, up 24.8% month-on-month; computers, electronic products and parts with US$4.2 billion, up 3.4%; textile with US$2.97 billion, down 2.5%; machinery and equipment with US$2.7 billion, up 17.6%; footwear with US$1.4 billion, up 1%; wood and wooden products with US$1.15 billion, up 1.9%.
For the January – August period, phones and parts earned the largest export turnover of US$31.6 billion, down 5.4% year-on-year.
Meanwhile, Vietnam spent most on importing computers, electronic products and parts with over US$6 billion last month, up 7.6% month-on-month, accumulating a total of US$38.75 billion in the eight-month period, or an increase of 15.6% year-on-year.
- Renewables are solution to Vietnam's power thirst
- Vietnam economy likely second fastest-growing in Asia-Pacific: S&P Global Ratings
- Vietnam to push for trade and industrial cooperation with American partners
- Vietnamese agricultural exports to EU soar on EVFTA
- EVFTA to help realize Vietnam's high-income status ambition: Expert
- Largest online conference to boost Vietnamese agricultural export
- Vietnam trade minister highlights preliminary successes from EVFTA, CPTPP
- Vietnam, Israel accelerates negotiation for trade deal
- Vietnamese aviation authority proposes 3 options for transfer passengers from 3rd country
- Vietnam continues launching tour promos as pandemic contained
Vietnam president attends Army Party Congress
How Vietnam could stamp out second wave of coronavirus
Renewables are solution to Vietnam's power thirst
Urgent steps needed for Vietnam to attract high quality FDI
Apple partner Pegatron mulls US$1-billion investment in hi-tech projects in Vietnam
Hanoi’s weekend pedestrian streets allowed to reopen from September 18
European investors propose US$1 billion logistics project in Vietnam
Vietnam says ASEAN doesn’t want to get trapped between competition of major powers
Vietnam launches advisory message to prevent Covid-19 spread