Vietnam trade surplus more than doubles in Jan-Aug
The record US$13.5 billion trade surplus in the eight-month period far exceeded the unprecedented figure of US$11.12 billion last year.
In the first eight months of 2020, Vietnam’s trade surplus reached an all-time high of US$13.5 billion, representing a 150% increase compared to the same period of last year (US$5.47 billion), according to the General Department of Vietnam Customs (GDVC).
|Data: GDVC. Chart: Nguyen Tung.|
The figure also far exceeded the estimated US$11.9 billion from the General Statistics Office for the period and the unprecedented trade surplus of US$11.12 billion last year.
In August, Vietnam’s exports rose 11.4% month-on-month to US$27.7 billion, while imports increased 2.8% to US$22.7 billion.
Overall, between January and August, Vietnam’s total export value topped US$175.36 billion, up 2.3% year-on-year, and total import value was US$161.9 billion, down 2.4%.
Six groups of export staples with turnover above US$1 billion in August included phones and parts with US$5.35 billion, up 24.8% month-on-month; computers, electronic products and parts with US$4.2 billion, up 3.4%; textile with US$2.97 billion, down 2.5%; machinery and equipment with US$2.7 billion, up 17.6%; footwear with US$1.4 billion, up 1%; wood and wooden products with US$1.15 billion, up 1.9%.
For the January – August period, phones and parts earned the largest export turnover of US$31.6 billion, down 5.4% year-on-year.
Meanwhile, Vietnam spent most on importing computers, electronic products and parts with over US$6 billion last month, up 7.6% month-on-month, accumulating a total of US$38.75 billion in the eight-month period, or an increase of 15.6% year-on-year.
- Vietnam fruit, vegetable exports rise above 6% to over US$900 million in Q1
- Finance ministry turns to stock market for greater transparency in SOE privatization
- IMF maintains Vietnam GDP growth forecast at 6.5% in 2021
- Vietnam eyes services sector to make up 60% of GDP by 2030
- SK group buys 16.3% stake of Vietnam’s largest retailer
- Vietnam – Algeria – Senegal seeks greater trade and investment cooperation
- Vietnam car imports surge 70% in March
- Vietnam to borrow US$2 billion for Mekong Delta development
- External trade a new driver of Vietnam economic growth
- Casino investment to boost Vietnam GDP growth by 2%, says businessperson
The old man guarding Hanoi's last ancient gate for 20 years
C.bank expects credit growth to exceed 12%-target for 2021
Vietnam officially approves online schooling
Vietnam warned of imported Covid-19 transmission amid rising regional cases
Hanoi team ranks 1st at National Archery Championships 2021
Vietnam moves up in int’l vaccine regulation ranking
Vietnam to cut research time of Covid-19 vaccines amid thin supply
Corporate bonds of real estate - risky commercial debt for investors
Six major tasks await newly-appointed Hanoi Party Chief