Vietnam to have additional 18 railway routes by 2050
Seven current railway routes are being upgraded in the 2021-2030 period.
Vietnam national railway network would have another 18 major routes with a length of more than 3,00km by 2050.
|Vietnam may have 25 railway routes by 2025. HNT Photo: Nguyen Quy|
With 18 new routes, the national railway network will have 25 major lines with a total length of 6,409km, according to the draft planning on railway development in the 2021-2030 period with a vision to 2050 submitted by the Ministry of Transport (MoT).
Among 25 major routes, seven existing routes with a length of nearly 2,500km are Hanoi-Ho Chi Minh City, Hanoi-Lao Cai, Hanoi (Gia Lam Station)-Haiphong, Hanoi (Dong Anh Station)-Thai Nguyen (Quan Trieu Station), Hanoi (Yen Vien Station)-Lang Son (Dong Dang Station), Kep-Chi Linh, and Kep-Luu Xa.
The top priority projects for capital allocation are the North-South high-speed railway including two routes of Hanoi-Vinh, HCMC-Nha Trang, those of Bien Hoa-Vung Tau, Vung Ang-Tan Ap-Mu Gia, Di An-Loc Ninh, HCMC-Cantho, Lao Cai-Hanoi-Haiphong, and Hanoi-Dong Dang.
In the 2021-30 period, the draft planning proposed to prioritize the allocation of investment capital to complete the two routes of Vinh - Danang by 2040 and Danang-Nha Trang by 2050.
During the period, the MoT also expected to complete the construction of the routes of Yen Vien-Pha Lai-Ha Long-Cai Lan seaport as well as the one connecting with Lach Huyen International Gateway Port, and build inter-regional railways including Ngoc Hoi-Lac Dao-Bac Hong, Thu Thiem-Long Thanh.
For the period of 2030-50, intra- and inter-regional railways will be developed based on demand which includes Nam Dinh-Thai Binh-Haiphong-Quang Ninh (Ha Long) coastal railway, Ha Long-Mong Cai, Thai Nguyen-Tuyen Quang-Yen Bai, My Thuy Port-Dong Ha-Lao Bao connecting with the neighboring country of Laos.
The draft estimated about VND240 trillion (US$10.4 billion) will be needed for both upgrading existing railway routes and building new ones. The fund will be mobilized from the state budget and other sources.
- Vietnam launches first-ever digitalization toolkit for manufacturing and supporting industries
- Vietnam emerges as most attractive destination for US semi-conductor investors
- Agreement inked to boost electronics manufacturing in Hanoi
- Hanoi Grand Sale 2023: Over 12,000 promotions worth US$1 billion
- Vietnam emerges as a strategic location for tech giants
- Vietnamese youth trained to raise community awareness of online safety
- Hanoi named Attractive City for Innovation and Startups
- Smart city development emphasizes people as priority: Hanoi vice chairman
- Vietnam and Belgium enhance trade and investment cooperation
- Record turnout for Hanoi Midnight Sale 2023
Must-visit tourist attractions in Hanoi's mountainous district
Hanoi Times Weekly Podcast - December 9
Greatest works of arts on display at Hanoi Museum
Hanoi to start construction of second airport in 2040
Vietnam’s economy demonstrates improved adaptability to new situation
Diwali vividly celebrated in Hanoi
AI to help Hanoi accelerate smart city development
Data mining drives smart city building: vice chairman
Planning essential to promote smart city development