Vietnam transport ministry eyes resumption of international flights
The Hanoitimes - The resumption of international air services will breathe life into Vietnam's tourism industry, which has been hard hit by Covid-19.
Vietnam's Ministry of Transport has requested the Civil Aviation Administration of Vietnam (CAAV) to submit a proposal on resuming flights on some international routes and the principle of gradually loosening immigration procedures as the country seeks to reopen its economy and trade ties with select partners.
|Passengers at Tan Son Nhat International Airport. Photo: Thanh Nien Newspaper.|
The resumption of air travel to certain countries need to be carried out on the mutual basis, according to the request of the Ministry of Transport to the CAAV.
The proposal needs to be submitted by June 10 and forwarded to the prime minister for consideration.
Vietnam has kept its borders closed in the context of the complicated Covid-19 pandemic in the world and only authorized some repatriation flights to bring Vietnamese citizens home. Foreigners are allowed to enter in some exceptional cases.
According to the CAAV, the number of international passengers plunged 97.6% in May from a year earlier to just 78,000 while the number of domestic passengers decreased by 56.6% inter-annually to 2.8 million.
Vietnamese airlines have seen their revenues from international markets nosedive to almost zero during the February-May period due to travel restrictions.
At a conference on stimulating tourism in the post-Covid-19 period on May 21, local aviation and tourism experts proposed resuming international air services with countries which have initially controlled Covid-19 like Australia, New Zealand, and Thailand.
- Foreign travel agencies plans to bring tourists to Vietnam early 2021
- Vietnam resumes stimulus tourism activities as Covid-19 put under control
- Vietnam launches Green Travel webpage to boost responsible tourism
- Vietnamese travel businesses struggle with Covid-19 again
- Vietnam transport ministry eyes resumption of international flights
- Vietnamese travelers to benefits from post-Covid-19 tourism incentives
- Promos launched to revive Hanoi's tourism
- “Stay at home with Vietnam” online tour launched for foreigners in Covid-19 time
- Hard hit by Covid-19, Vietnam tourism companies go online
- Vietnam Airlines U-turns to transport passengers from Europe to Vietnam
Hanoi disallows begging, tourist harassment in downtown pedestrian streets
Vietnam to push for trade and industrial cooperation with American partners
Vietnam uses locally-made test kits for incoming guests
Vietnam welcomes foreigners but closely eyes Covid-19 infection risk
Apple partner Pegatron mulls US$1-billion investment in hi-tech projects in Vietnam
Hanoi’s weekend pedestrian streets allowed to reopen from September 18
European investors propose US$1 billion logistics project in Vietnam
Vietnam says ASEAN doesn’t want to get trapped between competition of major powers
Vietnam launches advisory message to prevent Covid-19 spread