Egg coffee - the best coffee in Hanoi
A milk shortage in the 1940s led an enterprising barman to cast around for alternatives – and so cà phê trúng, Vietnamese egg coffee, was born
On one of the endlessly busy streets in Hanoi’s Old Quarter, tourists and locals alike can be seen searching for the almost-hidden cafe down a narrow alley where the original cà phê trúng (egg coffee) can be found.
On the menu is an array of drinks but all anyone is ordering is this beverage, in hot or cold versions. The hot one, served with the cup sitting in a small dish of hot water to maintain its temperature, is almost too thick to drink, so you should use a small spoon first.
It doesn’t taste of egg – more like vanilla – and while you can taste the coffee at the bottom of the cup, the egg part is surprisingly light-tasting and not at all sickly, though certainly sweet. The cold option, laden with ice, is more of a dessert and tastes like coffee ice-cream.
At the counter, collecting payment, sits Nguyen Van Dao, whose father invented the drink in 1946 while working as a bartender at the city’s Sofitel Legend Metropole hotel. At the time, milk was scarce in Vietnam so whisked egg yolk was used as a replacement. Other Hanoi cafes have attempted to imitate the drink, but the packed venue offering the authentic version is still the most popular spot in town for an egg coffee fix.
Coffee powder, condensed milk, a little butter and cheese are also added to the mix, but Mr Nguyen won’t reveal all the details.
When arrived Hanoi, you should try egg coffee at Giang coffee, at 39 Nguyen Huu Huan, Old Quarter, Hanoi.
- Vietnam, South Korean share some similarities for New Year
- Pho wins over South African gourmets
- Student project done to promote Hue cuisine
- One-Word Cream Cake for teachers on Vietnam's tradition
- Four Hanoi delicacies listed among Vietnamese typical dishes
- Mooncake market: Vast selection, low sales
- Vejo: A vegan restaurant inspired by international gastronomy
- Hanoi culture-inspired mooncakes hit the market
- Southern traditional cake festival showcases 100 signature kinds
- Cafe Show: Bringing Vietnamese coffee to the world
ASEAN is coming to Australia
Explore CNN, Google and TikTok to promote Vietnamese values
Ambassadors' spouses dazzle in Vietnamese ao dai
Vietnam eyes measures to keep hold of big-tech firms
Vietnam news in brief - March 2
Vietnam news in brief - March 1
Hanoi to launch night tour of Quang Ba flower market
Photo exhibit celebrates motherhood on International Women's Day
Vietnam accelerates plan to train 50,000 semiconductor engineers