Vietnam September inflation slows to 5-year low at 0.12%
Core inflation comes at 2.59% year-on-year in the first nine months of 2020.
Vietnam's consumer price index (CPI), the main gauge of inflation, in September increased 0.12% against the previous month and 0.01% versus the end of 2019, both at the weakest levels in the 2016 – 2020 period, according to the General Statistics Office (GSO).
|Data: GSO. Chart: Ngoc Thuy.|
Six out of 11 commodity groups that are components of the basket for CPI calculation witnessed month-on-month price hikes. Among them, education posted the sharpest increase.
Meanwhile, the CPI in the third quarter grew by 0.92% against the previous quarter and 3.81% year-on-year.
Overall, the CPI in the first nine months of this year has increased by 3.85% year-on-year.
According to the GSO, core inflation in the nine-month period was 2.59%.
Domestic gold prices continued the growing trend due to global uncertainties caused by the Covid-19 pandemic, with a decrease in prices as a result of investors booking profits, a better-than-expected recovery of the US economy and an appreciation of the US dollar against other currencies.
In September, gold prices in Vietnam declined by 0.33% month-on-month but soared 32.37% against last December and 30.33% year-on-year.
- Vietnam c.bank reduces policy rates
- More female leaders needed in Vietnam’s banking sector: IFC
- Corporate bond issuers allowed extending maturity period by 2 years
- Hanoi mulls strategy to reform tax system until 2030
- VNZ, first stock in Vietnam, hits million-dong price
- Investors cautious in stock market in Year of the Cat
- Vn-Index set for steady growth in 2023
- Vietnam State Treasury to raise US$17 billion through Gov’t bonds in 2023
- Hanoi eyes comprehensive development in 2023: Mayor
- EU, Germany fund to enhance public financial management in Vietnam
Vietnam aims for five international-standard cities by 2045
Re-enacting an 80s and 90s style wedding in Hanoi's Old Quarter
Fascinating look at Hanoi in black and white photo collection
Travel enthusiasts flock to Hanoi Tourism Festival 2023
Effective public investment as a top political mission: PM
Hanoi named among Vietnam's most beautiful places
Hanoi among cities with most trees in the world
2023 - a year of high-quality startups in Vietnam
Vietnam 12th International Photo Contest winners announced