Work on Phan Thiet joint-use airport to begin this month
The construction is expected to be completed in 20 months and operational in 2022, serving both military aviation and civil aviation.
Work on Phan Thiet joint-use airport is scheduled at the end of March, Deputy Minister of National Defence Tran Don has said.
The Ministry of National Defence and local officials announce the Phan Thiet airport project in Phan Thiet city. Photo: Duc Trong
Located in the south-central province of Binh Thuan, where is more than a four-hour drive east of Ho Chi Minh City, the 543ha airport will be used for both military aviation and civil aviation.
The civilian part of the airport will be built under the build-operate-transfer format by Hanoi-based Rang Dong Joint-stock Company, with the total investment of about VND 3.8 trillion (nearly US$165 million).
Meanwhile, the items serving the military aviation will be invested by the Air Force under the Ministry of National Defence, with an estimated fund of VND 8 trillion (US$347 million).
Under the government’s agreement, the airport will be upgraded from 4C to 4E in the classification of International Civil Aviation Organization, which is able to accommodate wide body jets.
The construction is expected to be completed in 20 months and operational in 2022, Lieutenant General Tran Don added.
Vietnam currently has 22 airports, including eight in the northern and north-central regions.
- Vietnam needs to expand airport network to relieve pressure on infrastructure
- Hanoi on high alert against Covid-19 pandemic
- Overlaps and lack of labs hamper food safety control
- Hundreds of Hanoi volunteers participated in community-driven cleanup event
- Hanoi improves greenery to upgrade resident's living standard
- Around 75% of people with disabilities in Hanoi are jobless
- Vietnam adopts flexible approach to deal with Covid-19 pandemic
- Vietnam’s redesigned passport to contain birthplace from September 15
- Hanoi proposes benefits for firefighters and rescuers
- Hanoi underprivileged children enjoyed a warm Full-Moon Night
Hanoi's GRDP growth surges 9.69% in nine months
It’s a complicated world but we all need to eat – without consuming the world in the process
Vietnam among fastest growing economies in East Asia – Pacific region: WB
Vietnam needs to expand airport network to relieve pressure on infrastructure
Vietnamese, foreign firms must store data in cyberspace from October
Trade cooperation: Highlight of Vietnam-EU relations
Khau Pha Paragliding Festival offers spectacular scenery from a bird-eye view
[Infographic] Hanoi ranks second in Vietnam 2022 e-Business Index
Vietnam Airlines listed among the world’s best 100