Work on Phan Thiet joint-use airport to begin this month
The construction is expected to be completed in 20 months and operational in 2022, serving both military aviation and civil aviation.
Work on Phan Thiet joint-use airport is scheduled at the end of March, Deputy Minister of National Defence Tran Don has said.
The Ministry of National Defence and local officials announce the Phan Thiet airport project in Phan Thiet city. Photo: Duc Trong
Located in the south-central province of Binh Thuan, where is more than a four-hour drive east of Ho Chi Minh City, the 543ha airport will be used for both military aviation and civil aviation.
The civilian part of the airport will be built under the build-operate-transfer format by Hanoi-based Rang Dong Joint-stock Company, with the total investment of about VND 3.8 trillion (nearly US$165 million).
Meanwhile, the items serving the military aviation will be invested by the Air Force under the Ministry of National Defence, with an estimated fund of VND 8 trillion (US$347 million).
Under the government’s agreement, the airport will be upgraded from 4C to 4E in the classification of International Civil Aviation Organization, which is able to accommodate wide body jets.
The construction is expected to be completed in 20 months and operational in 2022, Lieutenant General Tran Don added.
Vietnam currently has 22 airports, including eight in the northern and north-central regions.
- Hanoi cooperates with provinces for safe fruits and farm produce supply
- Vietnamese Government urged to ban e-cigarettes
- Summer Online Safety Playground gives self-protection skills to children in Hanoi
- First Vietnamese forced laborers return from the Philippines
- Bicycles contribute to green city development in Vietnam
- Vietnam needs to raise tobacco prices and taxes: WHO’s expert
- E-visa expiry should be in 60-90 days: Lawmakers
- Some 30,000 volunteers offer helping hands to clean up trash across Vietnam
- Phu Bai Int'l Airport pilots biometric passenger identification system
- Hanoi launches free health check-up program
Hanoi Times Weekly Podcast
Vietnam News Highlights for June 3, 2023
International Yoga Day 2023 celebrated across nation
Vietnamese Government urged to ban e-cigarettes
Vietnam’s Reunification Express named world’s most incredible rail journey: Lonely Planet
First Vietnamese forced laborers return from the Philippines
Franco-Vietnamese Filmmaker wins Best Director at Cannes 2023
Hanoi emerges major luxury brand destination in Southeast Asia
Two new suburban tourist spots diversify Hanoi’s travel options