'Face mask ATM' operated in Ho Chi Minh City amid Covid-19 resurgence
The Hanoitimes - The launch of the face mask dispenser is based on the experience of the machine that releases rice in the previous wave of Covid-19 outbreak.
A face mask dispenser, named face mask ATM, started operating in Ho Chi Minh City on August 6, providing citizens with free face masks as Covid-19 cases are surging Vietnam.
A face mask ATM is operated in Ho Chi Minh City. Photo: Tin Tuc
The face mask ATM either gives out one single face mask that is washable and reusable 20-30 times or a batch of several face masks that can each be reused 3-4 times.
The ATM runs from 10:00 to 16:00 at 204B Vuon Lai street, Tan Phu district. Similar dispensers are expected to be installed in other locations across the city.
The machine is an initiative launched by Hoang Tuan Anh, a local resident who launched the first automatic rice dispenser in Ho Chi Minh City, popularly known as rice ATM for needy people affected by the pandemic during the social distancing period in April. His idea was later replicated in many other localities nationwide.
The rice ATM initiative by Vietnamese entrepreneurs made headlines in international media such as Reuters and CNN.
Currently, Tuan Anh has raised 8,000 face masks through donations and expects to continue receiving support from the community.
He plans to put the rice ATM into operation also in Danang, now a Covid-19-hit area with 220 active infections and eight deaths.
In May, some lecturers and students of Lam Dong Medical College, Dalat city, launched a free “face mask ATM” to help local people in the city fight the Covid-19 pandemic. The machine was placed in front of the school’s gate during one week and is equipped with antiseptic solution dispenser for hand washing.
- Vietnam uses locally-made test kits for incoming guests
- Mooncake dealers in Vietnam offer discounts on Covid-caused bleak sales
- Cold spell continues to hit Hanoi and northern Vietnam
- What Vietnamese parents think when their children are diagnosed with autism?
- Northern Vietnam to face downpours and cold air later this month
- Hanoi plans to subsidize replacement of obsolete motorbikes
- US plans to launch US$5-million YSEALI Academy in Vietnam
- UNDP donates more robots to help protect Vietnam’s frontline health workers against Covid-19
- Vietnam takes tougher move to protect environment
- Man pleads guilty to deaths of 39 Vietnamese immigrants
Vietnam president attends Army Party Congress
How Vietnam could stamp out second wave of coronavirus
Renewables are solution to Vietnam's power thirst
Urgent steps needed for Vietnam to attract high quality FDI
Apple partner Pegatron mulls US$1-billion investment in hi-tech projects in Vietnam
Hanoi’s weekend pedestrian streets allowed to reopen from September 18
European investors propose US$1 billion logistics project in Vietnam
Vietnam says ASEAN doesn’t want to get trapped between competition of major powers
Vietnam launches advisory message to prevent Covid-19 spread