Japan donates additional one million Covid-19 vaccines to Vietnam
Vietnam is one of the few countries getting the Covid-19 vaccines through direct delivery by the Japanese government.
Japanese Foreign Minister Toshimitsu Motegi said on June 25 that Japan will give one million doses of the AstraZeneca Covid-19 vaccine to Vietnam, the second batch for the Southeast Asian country within 10 days.
|Vietnamese Health Minister Nguyen Thanh Long (L) and Japanese Ambassador to Vietnam Yamada Takio at Noi Bai International Airport on June 16 greet the first batch of one million Covid-19 vaccine doses from the government of Japan. Photos: Tran Minh|
“The supply is a proof of the countries’ friendship,” the Embassy of Japan in Hanoi said in a statement.
Toshimitsu Motegi said at a press conference Friday [June 25] that arrangements for the delivery are in the progress, Reuters reported.
Recipient countries and territories that each gets one million include Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines, Taiwan (China), and Thailand.
Japan would also supply 11 million doses to countries in Southeast Asia, Southwest Asia and the Pacific Islands through the WHO-led COVAX Facility from mid-July, Motegi announced. Japan is one of the largest donors of this global scheme.
On June 16, a batch of more than 966,000 doses arrived in Vietnam and they were soon allocated to Ho Chi Minh City, the southern economic hub that is now the country’s Covid-19 hotspot.
|The vaccine arrives in Noi Bai on June 16.|
- EFTA – spotlight in Vietnamese President’s visit to Switzerland
- Vietnamese PM puts forth priorities to bolster cooperation in ASEM
- Denmark supports Vietnam US$1 mln in improving quality of official statistics
- Vietnamese President leaves for Switzerland, Russia visits
- Vietnam’s Covid-19 infections hit two-month high
- Vietnam joins the WIPO’s Copyright Treaty
- Japan expects Vietnam to become post-pandemic recovery hub: Fumio Kishida
- Future is bright for Vietnam-Japan relations: PM
- Vietnam holds national cultural conference after 75 years
- Economic cooperation - the key pillar for Vietnam-Japan relationship
Vietnam among Switzerland’s priorities for economic cooperation: Swiss President
Post-pandemic tourism: harnessing the value of cultural heritages
Marvelous season of marigold flowers in Ba Vi Mountain
Vietnam joins the world to end violence against women
Japanese giants pledge further support for Vietnam
Vietnam holds national cultural conference after 75 years
Surge in supply of Vietnam’s green buildings
Hanoi begins inoculating children with Pfizer Covid-19 vaccines
Initiative supports Vietnamese SIBs in addressing Covid-19 aftermath