US Vice-President Kamala Harris to visit Vietnam next month
Part of the visit is to make joint efforts to promote a rules-based international order.
Kamala Harris will visit Singapore and Vietnam next month, becoming the first US vice president to visit Hanoi.
Kamala Harris and husband Doug Emhoff board Air Force Two before departing from Andrews Air Force Base in Maryland on March 15. Photo: AFP
The trip is aimed to “strengthen relationships and expand economic cooperation with two critical Indo-Pacific partners of the United States,” the White House announced on Friday [July 30].
Harris will discuss issues of mutual interest, including regional security, the global response to the Covid-19 pandemic, climate change, and joint efforts to promote a rules-based international order, according to the White House.
US President Joe Biden and Vice-President Harris have made it “a top priority to rebuild our global partnerships and keep our nation secure, and this upcoming visit continues that work - deepening our engagement in Southeast Asia,” it stated.
The visit follows the visit paid to Vietnam on July 28-29 by Defense Secretary Lloyd J. Austin that included Singapore and the Philippines.
During the two-day visit to Hanoi, Austin expressed Washington’s wish to upgrade ties with Vietnam to the strategic partnership.
- Today’s Covid News: Vietnam to buy 10 million vaccine doses from Cuba
- Vietnam’s admission to UN: 44-year journey of a reliable global member
- Vietnam, Cuba to set up alliances in biotechnology
- Today’s Covid News: Vietnam allocates more Sinopharm vaccine
- Vietnamese President visits Cuba, scientific cooperation in spotlight
- Nearly 34,000 soldiers join pandemic fight in HCM City
- Vietnam approves Cuban Covid-19 vaccine
- Politburo requires Gov't to further focus on people's health
- Hanoi and HCMC finish first jab
- Putin pledges to support Vietnam in Covid-19 fight
Vietnam, Cuba to set up alliances in biotechnology
Vietnam urged to balance long-term trade interest amid China’s CPTPP application: Expert
Mooncake heats up in Hanoi’s supermarket amid pandemic
Boeing 737 Max aircraft expected to fly in Vietnam soon
Skillful hands: get-rich-quick secret of Ha Thai lacquer craftsmen
5G carries Vietnam hope for future
Vietnam receives 1.5 million Covid-19 vaccine doses from France, Italy
Vn-Index set for upward trend from September 13-17
Vietnam looks for Finland experience in hi-tech, innovation