Vietnam needs US$320.6-billion for power industry by 2045
Developing renewable energy sources are a priority of the National Power Development Plan VIII.
The Ministry of Industry and Trade has predicted that Vietnam will need an investment of US$320.6 billion for developing the national power industry in the 2021-2045 periods.
|Cat Tuong solar project in the southern province of Long An. Photo: Cat Tuong company|
It is a major content in the draft National Power Development Plan VIII (PDP VIII) for which the Institute of Energy under the Ministry of Industry and Trade is collecting feedback from the relevant agencies.
Vietnam’s electricity output is forecast to rise to 877 billion kWh by 2045 to meet the growing demand for economic expansion, according to the PDP VIII.
By 2030, the power industry will need an investment of US$128.3 billion in building electricity generation and the power grid. The total investment in the 2031-2045 period will be some US$192.3 billion.
Total installed capacity of electricity sources in Vietnam will reach 137.2GW by 2030, in which wind, solar and other renewable energies will make up the largest proportion (29%), followed by coal-fired thermal power (27%), gas thermal power (21%).
|Chart: Phi Nhat|
By 2045, the total installed capacity of power sources will gain nearly 276.7GW, in which wind, solar and other renewable energies account for the major portfolio (44%), besides gas thermal power (24%) and coal-fired thermal power (18%).
The draft plan also revealed that Vietnam will continue to import electricity from China, Laos and Cambodia in the next 10 years.
Vietnam Electricity, the state-owned company, is purchasing electricity from China through two 220kV power lines, with 1.5 billion kWh of power being bought annually during the 2016-2020 period. This northern neighboring market can sell up to 3,000MW of electricity or more to Vietnam from now until 2030.
- Reverse vending machine: Typical green growth model for Vietnam
- Vietnam investors start embracing local startups
- Vietnam seaside towns to become key international tourism destinations
- Vietnam continues to be key overseas production base of global giants
- Vietnamese proptech startup raises US$1 million in pre-series A round
- Vietnam needs to build hub airports
- Covid-19 pandemic makes no hurdle to Vietnam's building plan of SEA largest airport: Experts
- Vietnam needs US$320.6-billion for power industry by 2045
- Vietnam, US to enhance economic cooperation after Covid-19
- Supply chain diversion increases tech giants’ interests in Vietnam: HSBC
Citizen engagement makes Covid-19 fight successful in Vietnam
C.bank expects credit growth to exceed 12%-target for 2021
Japanese and Vietnamese artists to perform symphony concert
Danang announces list of housing projects for foreign ownership
Vietnam warned of imported Covid-19 transmission amid rising regional cases
Hanoi team ranks 1st at National Archery Championships 2021
Vietnam moves up in int’l vaccine regulation ranking
Vietnam to cut research time of Covid-19 vaccines amid thin supply
Corporate bonds of real estate - risky commercial debt for investors