ASEAN-US cooperate in health sector, Hanoi suggests more support from Washington
Several initiatives for the health sector have been launched to boost the cooperation between the US and ASEAN.
ASEAN and the US has agreed to tighten cooperation in the health sector in which Vietnam suggests the US offer technical support and cooperation in epidemiology and treatment for the region to mitigate socio-economic impacts of the Covid-19 pandemic, the US Department of State said on its website.
|US State Secretary Mike Pompeo. Photo: Reuters|
At the online Special ASEAN-US Foreign Ministers’ Meeting on Covid-19 held on April 23, US State Secretary Mike Pompeo launched the US-ASEAN Futures initiative to lay the groundwork for long-term partnership.
Meanwhile, the ASEAN-US Network of Medical Experts, and support for ASEAN and its Secretariat to build infrastructure for pandemic control in the region.
In addition, they are also exploring smart city health solutions through the US-ASEAN Smart Cities Partnership.
To date, the United States has released more than US$35.3 million in emergency health funding to help ASEAN countries fight the virus, building on the US$3.5 billion in public health assistance provided across ASEAN over the last twenty years, according to Mike Pompeo.
|Vietnamese Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Pham Binh Minh at the meeting on April 23. Photo: MOFA|
As the Chair of ASEAN 2020, Vietnamese Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Pham Binh Minh stressed that ASEAN had shown great political determination and increased co-ordination in a responsive and cohesive spirit.
Accordingly, foreign minister from the US and ASEAN reached a consensus on countermeasures, and vowed to work closely together on other regional and global issues.
They agreed to step up information and experience sharing, policy co-ordination and capacity building.
They also highlighted the need for the early availability of vaccines and treatments while ensuring countries had equal access to both.
- Vietnam, China enhance border ties
- Van Don Airport to pilot facial recognition tech for passengers
- US human rights report gives one-sided evaluations of Vietnam: MOFA
- US reaffirms to address war legacies in Vietnam
- South Korean Gov’t appeals court order: Vietnam requests respect history
- Int’l voices promote innovation for empowerment of migrant women in Vietnam
- US pledges $73 million for dioxin cleanup at Bien Hoa Air Base
- Boosting Vietnam’s youth engagement to prevent human trafficking
- Gender equality in digital transformation in Vietnam: Opportunities and challenges
- Foreign leaders congratulate Vietnam's new state president
Vietnam, China enhance border ties
There cannot be another genocide: Ambassadors
Balade en France gastronomic festival - Walking in France in the heart of Hanoi
Vietnam considers issuing e-visas to citizens of all countries and territories
Business executives to face disciplinary action for failure to stop smuggling activities
Travel enthusiasts flock to Hanoi Tourism Festival 2023
Effective public investment as a top political mission: PM
Hanoi named among Vietnam's most beautiful places
Hanoi among cities with most trees in the world