Covid drug Remdesivir arrives in Vietnam
The health ministry is expected to add Remdesivir to the treatment of Covid-19 patients today.
A batch of 50,000 vials of Remdesivir from India arrived in Ho Chi Minh City last night to support the treatment of critical Covid-19 patients.
|A batch of Remdesivir arrives in Ho Chi Minh City on late August 5. Photo: Vingroup|
This kind of drug, which is developed by US-based Gilead Sciences and got the Food and Drug Administration (FDA)’s approval in October 2020, is the first drug approved to treat Covid-19.
Deputy Health Minister Nguyen Truong Son said the ministry’s Department of Medical Examination and Treatment will hold a meeting today to add Remdesivir to the treatment of Covid-19 patients.
So far, Vietnam has not approved Remdesivir yet.
Remdesivir sold under the brand name Veklury, is a broad-spectrum antiviral medication indicated for the treatment of adults and pediatric patients ≥12 years old and weighing ≥40 kg requiring hospitalization for Covid-19.
The European Medicines Agency (EMA) said the active substance in Veklury is a viral RNA polymerase inhibitor. It interferes with the production of viral RNA (genetic material), preventing the virus from multiplying inside cells. This can help the body to overcome the virus infection and may help patients get better faster.
The batch is of 500,000 vials bought by Vingroup, the leading private conglomerate in Vietnam, from India’s Cipla. The next batches are scheduled to arrive in Vietnam in August.
According to Gilead, Veklury has been approved or authorized for temporary use as a Covid-19 treatment in approximately 50 countries worldwide.
Vietnam has so far reported roughly 128,000 active coronavirus infections, including more than 33,000 hospitalized in Ho Chi Minh.
- Prime Minister urges proactive response to natural disasters
- Vietnam win second match of Asian futsal tournament
- Vietnam, Cuba ink action plan for further economic ties 2023-2025
- Cuban Prime Minister arrives in Vietnam, first visit outside Latin America
- Vietnam’s futsal team win convincing victory against South Korea
- Vietnam expects support from Warburg Pincus in energy and policy development
- Vietnam and Germany prepare for high-ranking exchange visits
- IPP matters a lot to economic growth, innovation: US Ambassador
- [UPDATED] Typhoon Noru hits Central Vietnam, curfew imposed
- Typhoon Noru coming on, Vietnam closes nine airports
Hanoi's GRDP growth surges 9.69% in nine months
It’s a complicated world but we all need to eat – without consuming the world in the process
Vietnam among fastest growing economies in East Asia – Pacific region: WB
Vietnam needs to expand airport network to relieve pressure on infrastructure
Vietnamese, foreign firms must store data in cyberspace from October
Trade cooperation: Highlight of Vietnam-EU relations
Khau Pha Paragliding Festival offers spectacular scenery from a bird-eye view
[Infographic] Hanoi ranks second in Vietnam 2022 e-Business Index
Vietnam Airlines listed among the world’s best 100