MAY 22: Vietnam’s Covid-19 cases surpass 5,000, PM calls for blood donation
The number of infections in the past three weeks is equal to that in the entire 2020.
Vietnam’s Covid-19 infections climbed to 5,043 as of May 22, including 41 deaths since the coronavirus outbreak broke out in early 2020.
|Testing at Danang International Airport. Photo: Quang Hai/Kinh Te Do Thi|
The total caseload includes 2,000 infections in the ongoing outbreak that has been sweeping 30 out of 63 cities and provinces nationwide for more than three weeks. The number of cases is equal to that of the entire 2020.
The fresh outbreak has put the health sector under pressure more than three past wave of coronavirus with the drop of blood bank. The situation has prompted Prime Minister Pham Minh Chinh to call for a national blood donation campaign.
Luong Ngoc Khue, head of the Administration of Medical Examination and Treatment under the Ministry of Health, said Indian variant has left dozens of Covid-19 patients in critical conditions, much more than the previous outbreaks.
So far, there are 50 patients are on the critical list, including 26 receiving ventilation and four on extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO).
|Vietnam's coronavirus infections. Source: MOH. Chart: Minh Vu|
On May 22, one day ahead of the national election, big cities like Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City, and Danang conducted massive testing to make sure the election safe enough for voters.
On the day, the country confirmed 143 infections, including 84 in Bac Giang hotspot.
The high number of infections has left a large number of people who contact with them (F1) and those in-person interaction with F1.
Currently, more than 179,000 people are under quarantine, including nearly 5,000 in hospitals, more than 36,000 in quarantine zones, and more than 137,000 at home and lodging facilities.
In Vietnam, all confirmed cases are hospitalized, all F1 are under centralized quarantine, and F2 bear home quarantine under medical supervision.
- US human rights report gives one-sided evaluations of Vietnam: MOFA
- US reaffirms to address war legacies in Vietnam
- South Korean Gov’t appeals court order: Vietnam requests respect history
- Int’l voices promote innovation for empowerment of migrant women in Vietnam
- US pledges $73 million for dioxin cleanup at Bien Hoa Air Base
- Boosting Vietnam’s youth engagement to prevent human trafficking
- Gender equality in digital transformation in Vietnam: Opportunities and challenges
- Foreign leaders congratulate Vietnam's new state president
- Vietnamese blue helmet doctors conduct free medical check-ups for South Sudanese
- Vietnam-UK Friendship Year announced
Vietnam aims for five international-standard cities by 2045
Hanoi patriots recount memories of captivity
Fascinating look at Hanoi in black and white photo collection
Travel enthusiasts flock to Hanoi Tourism Festival 2023
Effective public investment as a top political mission: PM
Hanoi named among Vietnam's most beautiful places
Hanoi among cities with most trees in the world
2023 - a year of high-quality startups in Vietnam
Vietnam 12th International Photo Contest winners announced