South Korea GS Energy to build 3,000MW LNG power plant in Vietnam
The partnership will enable GS Energy to accumulate business know-how of the “LNG value chain” in Vietnam.
South Korea’s GS Energy has inked a deal with Vietnam-focused fund manager VinaCapital to build a liquefied natural gas (LNG)-fired power plant in southern Vietnam.
|VinaCapital CEO Don Lam and GS Energy President Huh Yong-soo. Photoe: GS Energy|
Through the partnership, the two firms will jointly build a 3,000-megawattt LNG-fired combined cycle power plant and sell electricity to state-run Vietnam Electricity (EVN), GS Energy said in a statement.
The signing ceremony took place in Seoul on November 28 in the attendance of GS Energy President Huh Yong-soo and VinaCapital CEO Don Lam.
To operate and manage the power plant, GS Energy plans to establish an LNG value chain in Vietnam by introducing LNG and managing storage and vaporization facilities.
“The government’s active support including the New Southern Policy has significantly helped us to clinch the latest strategic deal with VinaCapital,” the Korea Herald quoted GS Energy President Huh Yong-soo as saying.
The company also said that it will expand its core businesses, including petrochemistry, resources development and integrated energy supply in overseas markets.
The partnership enables GS Energy, which is South Korea’s largest private power producer, to boost power generation in Vietnam in the context that the Southeast Asian country is actively seeking to ramp up energy production to feed its rapid growing economy.
To push forward the development of LNG-to-power, the government of Vietnam has issued a number of policies and initiatives to increase the LNG utilization.
Under the Vietnam Gas Industry Development Master Plan to 2035, the gas production volume across the country will increase from 10 billion cubic meter (cu.m) per year to 21 billion cu.m/year in the 2015 – 2035 period.
- Public investment as catalyst for Vietnam’s economic recovery in 2023: ADB
- Hanoi exceeds international visitor target in 2023
- Vietnam's GDP growth expands by 4.24% in a 9-month period
- Hanoi encourages semiconductor investment
- Hanoi, Shanghai businesses agree to build high-tech complexes
- Vietnam needs policies to promote industrialization: Japanese professor
- Vietnam-US semiconductor cooperation significant to bilateral relations
- Hanoi seeks to co-operate with Lai Chau on tourism
- Hanoi promotes efficiency in industrial slaughterhouse operations
- [Vietnam – a hub of nurturing talents] Talents - driving force for leveraging Vietnam’s startups
Green Future promotes Vietnam-Denmark cooperation for sustainable growth
Vietnam news in brief - October 2
Carnival enlivens Hanoi Autumn Festival at Hoan Kiem Lake
Decentralization, regulatory reform, fair compensation key to accelerating Hanoi's urban rail project
Hanoian beauty crowned Miss Universe Vietnam 2023
Typical Hanoian autumn snacks
Hanoi Fall Festival 2023 captivates visitors with unique activities
Revising Capital Law opens door to Hanoi's prosperity: Mayor
Global Conference of Young Parliamentarians: Opportunity to promote international cooperation